1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root need help rooting 2.2 epic 4g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xpreciiosa, Mar 26, 2011.

1. xpreciiosa

xpreciiosa Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Hey everyone... I'm sorta new to rooting. I have a samung epic 4g for sprint. Right now I'm running 2.2 froyo eb13 I just upgraded it. I don't have a computer now cuz it needs to get fixed but I do use my friends mac and occasionally his slow windows xp computer. I know there are apps for rooting your fone without using a pc. Apps such as z4 root ad visionary+ [r14] and universal androot... but I'm having issues with those too.

Z4root- it won't get past a certain screen then it randomly vibrates and slows down my phone drastically. My friend has 2.1 for his vibrant... we both have galaxy s phones. Z4root worked for him within seconds. It won't work for me. Maybe if I downgrade to 2.1 first? Then up to froyo?

VISIONary- it stays on tthe loading screen I can't even temp root it. I tried rebooting the phone nothing works... it slows it down and randomly vibrates like z4root.

Universal androot this is a joke. No matter what I do... "sorry I cannot root your phone "

My questions are:

1. Is there an easier way to root it, maybe another app I don know about? Or if I can download the root and save it like an update.zip?
    2. If not... how can I down grade the rom to 2.1? Can I just download the apk and rename it update.zip and go from there when I put it int recovery mode?
    3. If I have no luck with rooting it from my phone how can I root it from a mac without using wndows parallel?

I'm so frustrated.... please help me someone... I've been playing this this stupid fone for days. I seem to have no luckkk

Advertisement

2. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Android Enthusiast
    None

I am having the same issue. Someone said that if you accepted the OTA 2.2 update, then you won't be able to root your phone, at least not for now until they find a way to root this again. I did that and now I'm stuck with my unrooted phone, plus the internet isn't working at all after the update. I wish there was an easy way to go back to 2.1 using a Mac computer... *sigh*. I hope z4root gets to work again on Android 2.2 for the Epic 4G.

3. xpreciiosa

xpreciiosa Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Well I am going to experiment with something. Download your phones stock 2.1 rom. If ur internet is discnnected downloadit and send it to the phone via usb on the memory card... then put ur phone in recovery mode and update it.... it can't hurt to try. If I'm sucessful ill let u know. And if u have samsung epic 4g ill email u the rom providing it works for me

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
  5. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    That method appears to require a computer and the OP states that he doesn't have a computer.

I'm in the same boat - don't have a computer but want to root my Epic 4G.

6. someguy1984

someguy1984 Member
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Why don't you just use the link kelmar gave you and find a friends computer...It seems a lot easier just to do that and follow step by step instructions. If you have problems following those then come on here and clarify :) That's what I had to do, lol. I'm still new myself but understand what's going on at least now.