1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need help rooting CDMA wildfire S!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lautil, Aug 17, 2012.

1. lautil

lautil Lurker

Hi need help! Im trying to root my wildfire S Virgin Mobile but for some reason i can't get past step 7 on superonelick because it hangs.

My boot screen is:
    MarvelC PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
    HBOOT- 1.10.0001
    etc etc

Android 2.3.4, with sofware updates, htc sync installed on computer, I had usb debugging enabled,fast boot disabled on charge only when using superoneclick.

Anyone can help or can give me step by step instructions on alternative rooting methods? help is greatly appreciated!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. senthamil

senthamil Well-Known Member

Hi,

Have you tried with HTC Super Toolv3 to root?
    For CDMA devices you may follow this guide to root you device:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [Tutorial] How to root CDMA wildfire s and s-off and other great tutorials

Link: If you can't get HTC SuperTool from above, get it here.

3. CarolineT

CarolineT Lurker

Hi, everybody
    Just bought a VM Wildfire S, updated it to the latest version offered by htc. May have been a mistake, I guess.
    Unlocked the bootloader, made a goldcard and got s-off.
    Now I have looked high and low, on probably every android forum, tried to use all the root tools out there and nothing will work.
    When I go into HBOOT and then to recovery, the phone just reboots. Oh, did I mention, that I had flashed the recovery image through usb and from SD card. Made sure to get the right recovery IMG also (marvelc).
    Help!!!
    Maybe, I am just extraordinarily stupid or something, even though this isn't my first "root-job", but I feel like a compete idiot.
    Followed along with Tuts from YouTube and forums to no avail.
    Android version: 2.3.4
    HTC Sense version: 2.1
    H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I see the "low storage wizard" one more time I will kill this phone! Only thing I installed is the Pulse News app and I get this "low storage" several times a day.

4. Caro332

Caro332 Android Expert

What problem do you have exactly? Not sure you understand. Once you are S-off, you still need to root and make sure you have Superuser app installed.
    Once you have used the Supertoor Selvan has given, check if you have the Superuse app installed. If not, install it and it should work.
    Now if your problem is the low memory, a simple root will not help. It just gives you all priviledge right. It's after rooting that you can do more stuff.

What do you get when you try to get into recovery? Forever white HTC screen or forever black screen?

Install Titanium backup and install all the bloatware apps you don't need(Make sure you only uninstall apps and not system files or you will have a problem) - No need for recovery
    Still got problems, install Link2SD. Google it up and you should find a good guide on XDA forums - no need for recovery either

5. CarolineT

CarolineT Lurker

Well, and that is as far as I have gotten.
    SuperOneClick
    • : Killing ADB Server.......
    • Starting ADB Server........
    • Waiting for device........
    and there it stops. Followed advide on unlocker web site and turned phone off and on, but nothing.
    HTC Supertool v3
    when I open the program while the phone is plugged in USB it crashes immediately.
    when I open the program and then plug the phone into USB it will let me go through all the steps and then say
    ECHO off

Just tested. It is still not rooted. Is there a root tool available that reliably roots this phone? Rooted my tablet with Gingerbreak and Z4root before, but this phone just will not root.

6. Caro332

Caro332 Android Expert

CarolineT likes this.
  7. CarolineT

CarolineT Lurker

I have been reading through so many threads my head is buzzing. In order to install a root.zip from SD you have to be able to get into recovery. Now whenever I have tried to get into recovery the phone just reboots and nothing happens.
    Upon further reading I found that quite a few people seemed to have the same problem. Someone suggested flashing an unofficial recovery 5.0.26 from alquez on and then use rezo609's All-In-One Utility instead of the recovery I originally flashed, which was cwm 5.0.28. The kernel I have on the phone is 2.3.4. so maybe that has something to do with it. I have also considered putting my computer into safe-mode and giving that a whirl.
    So, come tomorrow I will try again. My biggest fear is obviously ruining the phone and rendering it unusable. But something has to give. Can not for the life of me understand why they would load a phone up with this much crap. So much crap, as a matter of fact, that I had to uninstall updates for apps that come with the phone. Really frustrating, because I didn't have any problems like that with my Huawei ideos s7. That one I rooted immediately and got rid of some stuff I just don't use.
    Thanks for the help Caro332. I really appreciate you pros helping out here on the forums. Wouldn't know what to do with out the forums and guys like you.
    Sorry for the long post. Just had to vent.

HTC Wildfire S Forum

The HTC Wildfire S release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews