• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help Sweeterhomes Bricked Phone

I was switching between different downloads and my droid is now stuck. It will boot up but it goes to a black screen. It tries to use sweeter home but it keeps coming up F/C. Of course I made the stupid mistake of using Sweeter home as my default home screen so I can't get back to settings or any other screen for that matter. I have placed the droid in the charger and it will go to bedside but when I remove it it starts the whole process of F/C's on Sweeter home. Not sure what to do! It will allow me to act like it will search for other themes but then locks up. So what do I do now to get it working.

Bob

:D Over-react much? I wish people would stop using the term "brick" when they don't really know what it means.

But I digress...

If you have a car dock, or the multimedia dock, just boot up with the DROID docked and you're all good.

If not, you can emulate having a dock by placing a magnet between the Verizon and Google logos on the back of your DROID while you boot up.

I'm guessing you didn't update to the latest Sweeter Home, Build 727. It is running flawlessly on my DROID.

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
I have tried starting the droid in the cradle but it still hangs up when it tries to start Sweeter home. I have tried everything I can think of. I still get the f/c and black screen when it's all loaded up.

The phone is working but something got crossed up in sweeter home. Does anyone know how to get to the settings screen without a home page? That is what is blocked...

NOTE: to messengeer13. I understand what brick means. Joe, I like you. I respect you and your opinions but I'm telling you that when your phone becomes inoperable it's bricked to me. Not the official definition but when it doesn't work and you can't get it to work that is my definition of bricked.

Bob

Upvote 0
I've had a couple FC's and one situation where it just stayed at a black screen with 727. Another way around the black screen is to use Bar Control to put Home Switcher in the notification bar, assuming you still have access to the notification bar when it gets stuck on the black screen.

How would i put home switcher in the notification bar without a home page...thanks for your help

Upvote 0
How would i put home switcher in the notification bar without a home page...thanks for your help

I meant for future reference. Now that you have your phone working you can put it in there and then next time you get a black screen with just the notification bar visible you could use home switcher to go to the default home program and kill the sweeter home task.

Upvote 0
NOTE: to messengeer13. I understand what brick means. Joe, I like you. I respect you and your opinions but I'm telling you that when your phone becomes inoperable it's bricked to me. Not the official definition but when it doesn't work and you can't get it to work that is my definition of bricked.

Bob

You can't just make up your own definition of words that are already defined. That'd be like saying "I'm going to murder you right now" to a police officer when you decided from now on murder really means hug.

A bricked device means it's nothing more than a paperweight because it cannot be restored by any means. What you had is a broken phone, not a bricked phone. Broken can be fixed, whereas bricked can't.

Upvote 0

Bob

While I understand you took what he said a bit harsh, you need to understand how important it is to use the correct terms when asking for help. If we hear that a phone is bricked, it means just what everyone told you it does. There is no fix. You will not receive any help to fix the problem.

My aunt used to call me and ask me if I would come down and free up the memory on her PC. I would do just that... I would remove any unneeded programs from the startup list... shut down a ton of crap that was running. 2 days later she would call me all pissed off that I didn't do anything to free up her memory and she wanted me to fix it again. So, I went back down... of the 2gb of memory she had, 1.56gb was free. You can't get much better than that. So, I left. The next day, she called me just about in tears screaming and yelling at me about how her memory was still full, so I went down and asked her to show me how she was concluding her memory was full, and she showed me how she was trying to move a picture folder from her camera onto her computer and it was saying the hard drive was full. I asked her if she meant the hard drive, and she said "the thingie that holds all of the files." I explained to her that what she was talking about was the hard drive, and I explained to her what the memory did. Her response, like yours, was "Well I call it memory, anyway."

The point of the story is, if you expect accurate help to a problem you are having, don't misidentify anything. No one can help you when you start making up your own terms.

That said, if you are having an issue with sweeter home, and you can't get into anything... boot into recovery. power the phone off, then hold the power button and X button at the same time. I can't remember what the default options are for recovery, but there should be an option for resetting the phone. After it is booted, it will restore all of your apps automatically after you sign into google. Then before you do anything else, go into your app menu and uninstall.

Upvote 0
Thank you to everyone in this forum. You can rest assured that I will never use the term "brick" to describe the temporary loss of the use of my phone. You have all set me on the correct path.
As a side note to El Blacksheep I liked your analogy of the person confessing to a police officer that he murdered someone and then discovered he really meant a hug. As a retired police officer of 25 years of service we used to have a code for people like them. "220" Also called a mental patient. Sorry if I came across as a mental patient.

Upvote 0
:( Why do people sometimes use the word "bricked" when they don't mean the word "bricked"?

Perhaps the word "malfunctioned" may have been a little bit more appropriate. That is my opinion.

"Bricked" generally means when your phone has the exact same function and value as a literal brick. I speak of the bricks that masons use to construct walls, walkways, and things of that nature.

In that state, your phone would not even turn on. It would be useful as a paperweight or perhaps as a weapon of some kind, but nothing more.

I hope that my explanation has served some purpose. My sincere hope is that it prevents, or at least somewhat decreases, the frequent and inappropriate use of the word "bricked" when speaking of their cell phones. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones