1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need help syncing contact list

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CBus660R, Jan 3, 2012.

1. CBus660R

CBus660R Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    sales
    Columbus, Ohio
    Here's the deal, got a Droid Bionic a few months ago, first Droid phone for me. Came from a BalckBerry Tour. When I got the phone, the Verizon store transferred my contacts. At the time, I didn't have a gmail account yet, so obviously I had to set that up too. Anyways, I wasn't syncing properly (and because I don't use gmail, I didn't notice), so when the phone acted up and I did a factory data reset, I lost all my contacts. Fortunately, I still had my old phone and tech support was able to walk me through getting that info transferred by using the BB desktop on my computer>Yahoo mail account>Droid Bionic>Gmail. So where I stand now is I have all my contacts (in Yahoo, gmail, and the phone), but now have double and even triple entries for many of my contacts depending on where/how the info was entered. What I really want to do is use my gmail account to clean up the list, both merging the multiple entries and deleting old contacts I have no use for (work contacts from previous jobs, etc...) and then using that list to update my phone contact list. From playing around with it so far, what I'm finding is changes to my phone contact list will change gmail, but not the other way around. i.e when I merg contacts in gmail and sync, the phone tells gmail to go back to the 3 separate entries and if I delete an entry on the phone, it does delete it in gmail. Am I doing something wrong here, or is that just how it works unless I go and find an app (that I obviously don't know about yet lol)?

Advertisement

2. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    The problem you will continue to have with the contacts is the multiple points of entry/backup. I had a similar issue using the VZW backup assistant and the solution was to take an export of all of my contacts...import them into gmail and eliminate duplicates...factory reset on phone...add gmail account to phone and sync...now you should have all of your contacts and all synced with a single source. If you NEED to have them separate by original point of entry you will have to merge the contacts and then deal with the overly complicated view of an indivudual contact (i.e. gmail info, bb info, facebook info, outlook info)

The other optionis to edit them in Excel and reupload, but Gmail is easy enough and you can still create groups etc. The one issue I would look out for is that you cannot compose an email to a gmail group from the gmail app on your phone - you can only do it from your contact list - auto-complete for group names doesn't work. Additionally, if you have multiple email addresses for a contact and you include that contact in a distribution list - you are only allowed to pick a single email address to add to that DL for that contact...FroYo used to allow you to include multiples.

Good luck with it.