• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help Titanium Back-up

I've heard that it's possible to install apps straight to the SD card with Froyo using Titanium Back-up. I have a few apps that I want to force to install on there......does anyone know exactly how to do that? It would be really helpful right now with a lot of apps I have.

Yep...but DO NOT do this for any apps that have widgets. I only recommend this for games and big "non-productive" apps like google earth, etc...but do as you wish :)

- Open Titanium Backup
- Press "Backup/Restore at the top of the page
- Find an app you want to move
- Long Press on that app until a dialog box appears
- "Move to SD card" will be an available option unless that particular app CANNOT be moved. So far...every game or app I've tried to move has been allowed.

The issue that you will run into is with LauncherPro (maybe other launchers as well). The apps that you moved will not show up in your app tray (usually after a reboot). To fix this...from the home screen, hit the Droid's menu key, click on "Preferences", scroll to the bottom and click on "Restart LauncherPro". Once LP comes back to life...the apps should all show up.

I moved a ton of apps and have not had any issues with any of the programs I have moved...I still don't recommend anything outside of games or non-productive apps...just my advice (it's still such a new feature...I'm waiting for some issues to creep up...but so far, so good :D

Reactions: ronaldramsayii
Upvote 0
Yep...but DO NOT do this for any apps that have widgets. I only recommend this for games and big "non-productive" apps like google earth, etc...but do as you wish :)

- Open Titanium Backup
- Press "Backup/Restore at the top of the page
- Find an app you want to move
- Long Press on that app until a dialog box appears
- "Move to SD card" will be an available option unless that particular app CANNOT be moved. So far...every game or app I've tried to move has been allowed.

The issue that you will run into is with LauncherPro (maybe other launchers as well). The apps that you moved will not show up in your app tray (usually after a reboot). To fix this...from the home screen, hit the Droid's menu key, click on "Preferences", scroll to the bottom and click on "Restart LauncherPro". Once LP comes back to life...the apps should all show up.

I moved a ton of apps and have not had any issues with any of the programs I have moved...I still don't recommend anything outside of games or non-productive apps...just my advice (it's still such a new feature...I'm waiting for some issues to creep up...but so far, so good :D

Yessir thanks. Exactly what I needed to hear. Good look on the info about the widgets. I did have the idea for using it for games.....especially Gameloft games lol. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Yessir thanks. Exactly what I needed to hear. Good look on the info about the widgets. I did have the idea for using it for games.....especially Gameloft games lol. Thanks again

NP. Yes...the Gameloft games can be a little on the large side. I have more apps on my phone now than ever possible before (I never took the time to get Apps2SD working until version 5.0.7.1 which I ran for about a week). I currently have 65 MB of free storage space on my phone...which for me, is a ton!

Upvote 0
NP. Yes...the Gameloft games can be a little on the large side. I have more apps on my phone now than ever possible before (I never took the time to get Apps2SD working until version 5.0.7.1 which I ran for about a week). I currently have 65 MB of free storage space on my phone...which for me, is a ton!

I know exactly how you feel. I'm definitely going to free up A LOT of space now. Now as far as moving them to SD.....will they move into the same place as apps that we move to SD in the "manage applications" menu of the phone? Also what do I do if I wanted to uninstall whatever file from my SD card?

Upvote 0
I know exactly how you feel. I'm definitely going to free up A LOT of space now. Now as far as moving them to SD.....will they move into the same place as apps that we move to SD in the "manage applications" menu of the phone? Also what do I do if I wanted to uninstall whatever file from my SD card?

Yes, they will still show up where you are expecting them to...check it ;)

Vsfmtl.jpg

As far as uninstalling them...haven't tried. I can verify that the apps still backup but I don't think they automatically restore to the SD card (I think you have to move them as TiBu doesn't seem to "install" them to the SD card). You could always move it back and uninstall (long press on an app you've moved and you'll see the option for "Move to internal"). When you click on an icon in TiBu (short press not long press), you still get the option to uninstall. Updates via the market seem to work fine if you moved the app to the SD card (but it's only been a couple of days so not too many updates as of yet).

Upvote 0
I know exactly how you feel. I'm definitely going to free up A LOT of space now. Now as far as moving them to SD.....will they move into the same plac

Yes, they will still show up where you are expecting them to...check it ;)

Vsfmtl.jpg

As far as uninstalling them...haven't tried. I can verify that the apps still backup but I don't think they automatically restore to the SD card (I think you have to move them as TiBu doesn't seem to "install" them to the SD card). You could always move it back and uninstall (long press on an app you've moved and you'll see the option for "Move to internal"). When you click on an icon in TiBu (short press not long press), you still get the option to uninstall. Updates via the market seem to work fine if you moved the app to the SD card (but it's only been a couple of days so not too many updates as of yet).

Ok. Good. Well Imma give it a try tomorrow. Imma call it a night. I like the theme by the way. Thanks for the info doc it definitely helped.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Ok. Good. Well Imma give it a try tomorrow. Imma call it a night. I like the theme by the way. Thanks for the info doc it definitely helped.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Alright...have a good one! I'm about done "moonlighting" myself. Good luck and post back if you have issues.

The theme shown is Blue Energy which is nice...the one I'm running now is Black Ice and I really like that one too. It is a nice change of pace from stock or NexTheme...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones