1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General need help transfering files from mac to n7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zuul, Dec 27, 2013.

1. zuul

zuul Member
    None

Feb 18, 2013
    so android file manager doesn't work on either of macs. seems to be a common problem. lots of posts on the interwebz about ppl not having it work for them. since i can't get it to work i can't do things like root my nexus 7 or transfer files. while my need to root it is not that high my need to transfer files is.

is there another way to get the mac to recognize the usb connection from the n7?

also... most cloud services seem to only support OSX 10.6 or higher and i'm running 10.5.8 on both machines.

i also have a linux box running ubuntu but i use that as a media box and wouldn't have any clue where to start trying to transfer files from that to the n7.

not afraid to use the terminal if i have to but i'm pretty new to android... although i've successfully rooted and installed cwm and flashed rom's on a few devices so i'm not quite a noob either but clueless about this part.

thanks.

Advertisement

2. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    You could use something like Airdroid, which will allow you to use any browser on your PC no matter what OS you use.

Ubuntu should see any MTP device automatically and allow you to browse it pretty much like any other file system using Nautilus or whatever file manager you use. It "just works" on my Ubuntu-based system.

3. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    I don't Ubuntu but I do run Linux. MTP works just like a drive.

++1 for Airdroid that is the best way to go really. No wires necessary.

4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    This may help you using ES File Explorer which is in my opinion simply the best Android file manager -

[How To] Share files between OS X 10.7+ and Android over WiFi without SAMBA - Internet(s), Servers, and Networks - InsanelyMac Forum

You should also have no problem setting your tablet to USB debug and rooting it from your mac as the entire android dev kit is available for OSX, there are many guides available via google and youtube.

Once rooted you can use a OTG cable and an app called Stick Mount to share files using a USB stick.

5. mmoy

mmoy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2012
    Male
    Software Engineer
    NH
    I have Android File Transfer installed on my MacBook Pro and use it to transfer files to/from the MacBook Pro to the Nexus 7. This is done from the Mac side using drag and drop.

6. zuul

zuul Member
    None

Feb 18, 2013
    airdroid seems to be the solution to my problem until i get around to rooting the thing...

so thanks for that... :)

meanwhile... ubuntu didn't recognize the tablet and i never got it to recognize my phone either... funny, that.

7. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using?