1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

need help tv mirroring??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sumo210, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Sumo210

Sumo210 Lurker

Ive had my stylo for almost a month now and i wanted to try tv mirroring. I cant seem to find a solid proof of evidence suggesting if it is mhl or slimport. can someone help.
    the reason im asking is because my smart tv broke and now i got a cheap replacement and now i dont have netflix on it until i can buy a new one, i just wanna watch stuff on my tv..Help please

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. k28king1

k28king1 Android Enthusiast

I have a Chromecast and i mirror to my tv using that perfectly. And with the chromecast 35 dollars there is an amazing amount of things that can be done with it.

GameTheory and EarlyMon like this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Despite the fact that sites are selling both MHL and SlimPort goodies for the Stylo, I'm about 99.9999999999% sure that it supports neither. Definitely not SlimPort and according to the specs, not MHL.

100% agree on Chromecast. For $25 more or less than an MHL solution, you can not only get screen mirroring, you'll get the best Netflix experience there is without screen mirroring.

The best smart TV Netflix has a Mickey Mouse interface compared to using a Chromecast and the picture quality is better on the Chromecast.

It's the real deal and won't care about phone model.

k28king1 and GameTheory like this.
  4. Sumo210

Sumo210 Lurker

i was thinking chromecast but does it need wifi and if it does can i use the hotspot from my phone since i have unlimited 4g with tmobile?
    thanks for the help

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

People that have done it have inevitably jumped through more hoops than I can count.

So I'd recommend the Amazon Fire TV Stick - and it's still a great Netflix experience as well.

I have both devices fwiw.

KOLIO and GameTheory like this.
  6. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

I agree, chromecast is the way to go.

As for the stylo supporting MHL I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it, but here is a snippet of code from the camera_config.xml suggesting that it might be supported...
    Code (XML):
    1. <!-- HDMI MHL supported *************************************************** -->
    2. <item name="hdmi_mhl_supported">
    3.     true
    4. </item>
    As you can see the value is set to true by default, but I don't know if it really supports it without trying it. Metro stylo by the way.

#6 GameTheory, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    KOLIO likes this.
  7. Sumo210

Sumo210 Lurker

has anybody tried??

8. Sumo210

Sumo210 Lurker

Do u know if MHL will work the Stylo

9. 6th_Hokage

6th_Hokage Android Enthusiast

no i have a MHL that i used with my S3 and no go on my Stylo...

10. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert

I dont have a MHL... Try allowing it in build.prop by removing the (#)

Attached Files:

11. 6th_Hokage

6th_Hokage Android Enthusiast

No root I have 5.1.1

12. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert

Sorry to hear that... Isn't kingroot working for those @ ota5.1.1 anyways... I think I'll hav2 get a MHL cable to find out.
    Its anyone rooted n hav MHL cable can ya test by editing build.prop to see if it works... Please provide feedback. Its gonna take me a while to get one im on the road on some projects. Would take about 2weeks for me to test.

13. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

That's an 11 pin MHL adapter - an oddity unique to some Samsungs.

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2014/02/05/mhl-adapter-samsung-galaxy-need/

The rest of the world follows the 5 pin standard.

I expect that it's included the camera xml because that's standard at LG.

I expect that it's commented out in the build.prop because the MHL circuit is missing.

I'd be astonished if they went to the expense of including the hardware and then said, "Just kidding," in software.

6th_Hokage, GameTheory and Krlypumaa like this.
  14. k28king1

I mirror with my chromecast

Krlypumaa and EarlyMon like this.
  15. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert

Yea i can do same with GG services... But for example can you cast a movie with in ur device using a player?
    Or through MHL (hdmi) cable?

16. k28king1

Yes

17. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert

MHL? Or wireless?

18. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

19. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

You can screen cast from the Chromecast app but it's not preferable if an app exists for what you want to see.

k28king1, Krlypumaa and GameTheory like this.
  20. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert

Thank you guys...
    Well now all those with the doubt. Here u got answers... Now with the MHL cable. Don't knw hardly anyone is using this method .

k28king1 likes this.
  21. McSpicy

McSpicy Lurker

Any luck? I dont have internet so a chromecast or firestick wouldnt be helpful

22. McSpicy

McSpicy Lurker

I keep getting sent here through all request for help. You all seem to know what your doing, but I dont have Internet. So is it a must to mirror the screen from lg stylo?

23. sir_nicca

sir_nicca Lurker

You don't have internet at home or on your phones plan?

24. McSpicy

McSpicy Lurker

I only have a gig to share wifi on my phone an no internet at home. Had to downsize.

25. sir_nicca

sir_nicca Lurker

Ok. Are you rooted by any chance and do you have the unlimited data plan?

LG G Stylo Forum

The LG G Stylo release date was May 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1/2GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2015
Release Date
Reviews