• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Help Understanding the Connectivity Icons

Erikson

Nov 22, 2011
I'm new to Android so forgive me if these are basic questions. But I searched the Net, read the manual and found nothing.

My wifi and network connections change in the following ways:

- Reception indicator will go from Blue to Grey, why? What does grey mean?
- Sometimes, there will be black icons inside the Wifi icon. I'm assuming that's to indicate data transfer, but are there two icons one for up and one for down, or is it just one. It's so small you can't really tell.
- The Antenna signal sometimes shows H, 3G and just the Bars. H is HSPA I'm assuming, but how do I know if I'm getting HSPA+? If there is no H and no 3G can I assume it's on 2G?

Thanks in advance.

I'm new to Android so forgive me if these are basic questions. But I searched the Net, read the manual and found nothing.

- Sometimes, there will be black icons inside the Wifi icon. I'm assuming that's to indicate data transfer, but are there two icons one for up and one for down, or is it just one. It's so small you can't really tell.
- The Antenna signal sometimes shows H, 3G and just the Bars. H is HSPA I'm assuming, but how do I know if I'm getting HSPA+? If there is no H and no 3G can I assume it's on 2G?

Thanks in advance.

1. Blue means fully connected to Google services, grey means not.
2. There are two, the up and down arrows represent which direction the data is travelling.
3. H is HSPA(+), 3G is UMTS, E is EDGE, G is GPRS, and none is no data connectivity.

Reactions: Lohung and Archie2
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance.

- blue to gray because this is letting you know it's connected/not connected to Google. blue is connected to Google. gray means not yet connected to Google
- the arrow indicators you see are tiny. there is only one indicator icon, but there are two arrows if you look closely.
-you can check to see if you're connected to HSPA+ by doing the following:
settings>about phone>status and then look at mobile network type. you should see HSDPA. sometimes this will show UMTS, though. download a large file and then check that status.

edit: beat me by a few min :p

Reactions: Lohung
Upvote 0
I am trying to figure out the mobile network connection type icons too.

I have the blue signal bars filled out to the max, I guess I have full signal. I also have a very very small R just above the signal bars, does anybody know what that means?

In settings > About phone > status > Mobile Network type : HSDPA9 or UMTS:3 does that mean I am connected? Not getting any data through the connection.\

Samsung google nexus i9250 > Netherlands, provider: Telfort (KPN)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones