1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need help unrooting!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by babygirl17_06, Feb 8, 2011.

1. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

Please help!!! My charger port broke and I need to unroot to take it to Cellular South to see if they can fix it. I am running CM 6.1 and I rooted with Z4root. I can successfully unroot but I can't install the original RUU. I went to my carriers website to get the original RUU from Cell South but I can't hook my phone up to the computer to finish the process cause of my charger port is broken. Please help me!!! If I failed to give you all the info you need, let me know and I will give you the missing info. Thanks in advance!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

Let me rephrase that. I'm not sure how to install the RUU. Can someone help?!

3. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

BREATH.....

Did you make a nandroid of your Stock Rom?
    If so Flash that - install Z4Root - UnRoot with App -
    Then Delete it.

You shouldn't need to RUU if you made a nandroid.

babygirl17_06 likes this.
  4. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

I did and I put it on my computer and deleted it from my phone. I put it back on my phone and tried to install it through recovery but it does not work and it takes me right back to the current ROM.

5. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

Oh yeah forgot to add that it said the m5 something is missing but I open the nandroid folder on my computer and there is a file with that in the name. So is the nandroid messed up.

6. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

missing md5.....interesting -
    You may hafta run the RUU after All....

Anyone know if there is a way to generate an md5 for a Nandroid?

7. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

So I'm guessing that the file got corrupted somehow.?

8. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Yes it did, you got the MD5 Mismatch, probably because you renamed the folder, if you rename you cannot use spaces, now you will have to download the RUU from the official site, then hook your phone us to your PC and simply click on the file RUU you download and let it do it thing, it will reload the RUU back on for you in minutes

9. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

I can't hook my phone up to my computer cause the charger/USB port is broke.

10. DonB

Are you sure it is the port and not the cable, have you tried with another cable to see?? Have you also tried to FR to see if that resolves your USB issue, IMO I do not think you can flash the RUU without the USB port working. There is a way to do it in Fastboot but it still requires the port, maybe someone else will have a solutions for you I hope

11. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

12. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

It is is the port. The plastic piece fell out of it and when I put the charger in there it mangled up the little copper wires in there.

13. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

Andy I'm with Cellular South so that ROM won't.

andygu3 likes this.
  14. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

I just read that, I'm sorry:(

15. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

16. srkmagnus

srkmagnus Well-Known Member

I think you can extract the ROM image from the RUU and load through boatloader to install the factory ROM. I'm not 100% sure as to how this is done. Looking through a Dinc thread indicates the ROM.zip can be obtained through the computer temp folder after the RUU is run or extracted from the program.

If this method works you'll just need to get the image onto the SD Card, either with a card reader or upload the file to a file sharing site and download from the phone.

My suggestion is that you ask someone with a Cellular South Hero to help you out with a Nandroid of the stock ROM or build you a stock ROM, with no edits, to flash. :(

**Here is the Dinc thread for reference only, do not download or flash any of the files!** OTA 2.2 Update With Root Made Easy - xda-developers

17. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

She would have to be S Off....don't think she is.....
    Also - If that is broken....She will likely be dealing with VERY little Battery by now.

You COULD Try running the battery all the way down...then take it in to fix the usb port....as it is a Physical issue not a software issue...they don't need to turn the phone on..... Just a thought!~

18. DonB

Good thought, worth a shot IMO, easier than trying to find someone to create a RUU image for you and as MHC mentioned you will need to be S Off

19. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

srkmagnus-"My suggestion is that you ask someone with a Cellular South Hero to help you out with a Nandroid of the stock ROM or build you a stock ROM, with no edits, to flash. :("

Thanks srkmagnus!!! That worked!!!:D

I rooted my hubby's Hero and make a nandroid of his stock rom and put his memory card in my phone and install it on my phone. It worked!!! The only problem I had was I could not delete the Super User app. I went ahead and took it to Cellular South. They did not even notice the Super user app and gave me a new Hero. They are sending my old one to HTC and HTC will bill me $50. The Cell South guy noticed my water damage sticker was triggered but said that he put in the report to HTC that there is not visable water damage. He said that if HTC does say that there is water damage they could bill me $180. But either way $50 for a NEW phone or $180 for a NEW phone is still a pretty good deal!!! Thanks for the help MahaloCat, DonB, andygu3, and srkmagnus!!!;)

MahaloCat, andygu3 and DonB like this.
  20. DonB

Well done girl, congrats on resolving your issue, happy rooting again :D

21. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

Lol! Thanks! As soon as I walk out of the store I started the root process on that new Hero and I finally talked my hubby into rooting through all this. Lol!

22. srkmagnus

srkmagnus Well-Known Member

Glad you got it to work :)

23. DonB

Maybe you will be ready to try GB ;)

24. msierra519

msierra519 Android Enthusiast

sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread babygirl17_06 but i have a question.

if someone has sprint, and doesnt have a nandroid of the stock rom...would it work if you ran the system update that is available on the phone? wouldnt that flash over the stock RUU and remove root access? just curious because i may have to do it soon as well.

25. babygirl17_06

babygirl17_06 Newbie

@DonB I'm tempted to try GB but I just got started with this. Thinking I better stick with this for a little while longer. ;)

BTW I'm having a little problem with CM 6.1. Sometimes, more often then I care for, my phone will freeze up if I get a call while my screen is off. I hear the ringtone and I try to unlock the screen which takes forever then once the screen unlock I get a frozen black screen til the call ends. The screen then unfreezes and I am able to call the person back and the phone acts normal again. Is this just a bug in the rom or is it a setting I need to adjust?

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews