• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help updating a rooted G1 from 1.5

ashmengie

Lurker
May 22, 2010
I recently purchased a G1 off eBay which appeared to be running stock 1.5 firmware and build number CRB43. I found some fairly easy instructions to follow to update to 1.6, but once I rebooted in recovery mode ready to process my update.zip file, I was greeted with the following screen:

cmrecovery14.png

I wasn't sure why it was displaying CyanogenMod since it appeared to be running standard Android 1.5, so I sent a quick email to the guy I bought the phone from. Apparently he had rooted the phone before selling it to me.

I guess my question is, where can I go from here? Can I safely update to 1.6 like I was attempting to do? Can I go to 2.x or should I try a CyanogenMod build?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks!

This is good news for you. You are already rooted which means that you are half way there to having a cool phone.

First off what you are looking at is the recovery agent. This is what the stock programming keeps you from installing thus keeping you from installing custom ROMs. It is the cyanogen with jesus freak version (see the bottom). This is not the cyanogen ROM. Here is what I recommend for you to get started. I am going to say Cyanogen 5.0.7 (which is Android 2.1) is the way you should go cause there is a wiki already written, a support forum if you have questions, Facebook page, twitter, ect.

Are you on tmobile?
What size and class of sd card do you have?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! I unlocked the phone from T-Mobile and put my AT&T SIM card in it, now it works great on the AT&T network. I just purchased a class 2 16 GB MicroSD card which I should be getting in the mail any day now (1 GB in there now). My friend mentioned something about having to reformat something or other if I was going to go to 2.1, maybe he meant the SD card?

Upvote 0
OK, so if I didn't want to move my apps to the SD card, I can just go with the one I bought, right? And is there anything preventing me from just going to stock Android 2.x? I'll be honest, I'll a little hesitant to go the CyanogenMod route. I think I'd just like to upgrade to a stock version first, and then maybe try the mods out down the road...

Upvote 0
First off there is no 2.1 or 2.2 for the G1 stock. The G1 is on 1.6 and likely will stay there due to its limited memory. These are the reasons people root. A stock G1 can run about 12 to 15 apps before they start chokeing. You are on 1.5 which means you don't have some 1.6 apps lik for one google navigation which I am guessing you will want. Your phone will never update due to the fact that it is rooted. To get back to stock there is a way but it requires flashing files. If you are going to flash files to the phone why not move forward?

Yes you can run cyanogen without apps2sd. You could always upgrade your card later and partition it for apps2sd that would be easy.

Also on AT&T do you get 3G?

Yes you would need to partition the phone itself to install 2.1 this is acomplished by installing dangerSPL it makes the system partition large enough to hold the 2.1.

All being said I waited for over a year to root and now that I have I wonder why I didn't earlier. You are already rooted if you want to flash it is will be pretty easy to 2.1. Up to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones