1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root need help with a low memory warning

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dchamilton, Jul 26, 2011.

1. dchamilton

dchamilton Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    First, I would like to mention that I'm new to Android, so talk slowly.

I have the ShabbyMod 0.9 and I put several additional apps on too. I made it so all the apps are supposed to be on the SD card but I still have low memory. Is there a way to make the photos saved onto the SD card? Any other suggestions for saving space?

Advertisement

2. robbie60

robbie60 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    well sadly, our phone doesnt come with a whole lot of internal memory. so if u rarely use an app, uninstall it. use titanium to uninstall unwanted stock apps. b careful tho, uninstall the wrong thing and your phone will ftfo. and not all apps can b moved to the sd card. hope this helps :)

3. dchamilton

None

Jul 9, 2011
    I just looked and all the apps that I have downloaded are being ran off my SD card. I have quite a few pics that I have taken. Other than the pics is there anything else to help clear up memory. Is there particular data being saved to the phone that could be safely saved to the SD card?

Can the camera be forced to save pics on the SD card?

4. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA

I may be wrong but I suspect that the camera does save pics to SD by default.

Definately get Titanium Backup. It has a lot of stuff that will help. The paid version is well worth the $6. You can clear the Dalvik cache. You can remove bloat that you do not want. You can move apps to the system area. Have you done a system reset? You will lose all your user data but you can back up with TB first. The reset should clean up some memory.

Just read the threads on this forum and you will get some ideaa.

5. dchamilton

None

Jul 9, 2011
    Will a system reset with ShabbyMod keep the ShabbyMod install?

6. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Yes

7. kolosus

kolosus Android Expert
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    PA/NJ Usa
    Another thing that I wanted to mention that the phone has two places. Storage and memory. If you're running out of storage then you're going about it the right way. Uninstall needless apps and so on.

If you're running out of memory then you need not worry at all. It comes from having too many apps running in the background. But that's not a problem either. Android is designed to free up extra memory as needed. If you want to read up about how memory low is not a problem and why task killers are a bad idea then read this...

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

Good luck.

8. dchamilton

None

Jul 9, 2011
    The message I'm getting is "Low on space". I tried installing the pro version of TB but it said I have "Insufficient storage". I have backed everything up using the non-pro version of TB. I think I'm just going to reset it now.

9. trenchkato

trenchkato Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    do you have a twitter client??? clear the data from that if so....

10. dchamilton

None

Jul 9, 2011
    Will surfing the net eat up space after two days? I just installed netflix just to check it out. Yesterday when I checked the free memory was in the 60's. The Netflix app was just under 8mb. The memory is now down to 23mb.

I'm guessing there are temporary files I could be emptying? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, what's the best way to uninstall an app. I plan on using TB Pro to bring apps back as I need then. I have read on other threads about uninstalling the occasional use apps to free up memory.

11. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    Netflix is a big program. Not sure how much memory it takes but I would assume that it would keep any temp files on the SD, but it should clean these up. Not sure if it does. I have it backed up with TB and can restore it quickly if I want to use it.

To delete it using Titanium Backup, just find it in the app list and short press on it. Uninstall is one of the options. Be sure to back it up first.

If you have trouble finding it in the list: Use Click to Edit Filters. Punch in Netflix in Filter by name and click Apply. That should narrow down the list.
    After you have backed up and uninstalled the app, go back and clear the filter by name entry and hit apply so that the full list comes back. If you do not this will affect your batch file options and prevent a full backup

12. officialmeatg

officialmeatg Member
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    well what i did was used Titanium Backup to move the big apps to the sd like facebook, etc etc.. heres the thing though. dont move your widgets to the sd nor your home launcher. it will semi mess stuff up.. hope it helps you out

13. dchamilton

None

Jul 9, 2011
    Okay, I understand how to use the uninstall/restore feature now.

I'm running shabbymod 0.9, what other occasional use apps can I take off. I've seen some threads on this matter, so I'll look for them. I haven't got into using the navigation or Amazon apps, so they will go first.