• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with a phone purchase!

Fruitsnax

Lurker
Apr 15, 2015
Hi everyone,

First off, apologies if this is the wrong place to be posting this but it seemed like the most suitable choice.

Anyhow, here is my predicament:

I currently have an old Verizon iPhone 4 (non S model) that is no longer part of a service plan that I use mainly as a Google Hangouts device to make calls/ send texts. This has served me quite well since it seems like just about everywhere you go, there is some form of a wi-fi connection. However, Hangouts is unreliable sometimes and I do find myself in positions where I need to make a call or send a text without wi-fi being around. As such, I've been considering purchasing a "pay-as-you-go" phone for those specific situations or when Hangouts is being cruddy.

However, I also find my iPhone to be lacking in performance lately and wouldn't mind something to just replace it all together. I've had my eye on the new Moto E 2nd gen phone which seems like a pretty solid device for the price. The thing is, Verizon offers the phone for 69.99 but only on their pre-paid plan. While 45 bucks a month isn't bad, I'd very rarely be using data/ phone time so it's kind of wasteful. I know you can buy the phone unlocked for around 150 dollars, but the half off deal is tough to pass up.

So, this leads to a few questions: First off, is it possible to unlock the Verizon version of the phone (legitimately or illegitimately)? Secondly, if I were to unlock it, is it going to be tied to their CDMA network, making it useless to say, buy an AT&T sim card for their on the go service?

Lastly, is there a better phone or other way about doing this that makes more sense that I'm unaware of? I've considered just getting a mobile hotspot and keep using my current phone but that doesn't seem to be any more economical, and like I said, I'd like at least a bit of an upgrade to my current phone while retaining my ability to be a cheap butt.

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to make sure I made sense. Any help you guys can provide is super appreciated!

Hi, sorry I can't be much help with your questions, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forums and bump your post up the list. The Moto E has gotten solid reviews, but I don't know if the Verizon version includes the GSM radios as well as the CDMA or not. You can have it carrier unlocked, but you'll have to keep service on it for a certain amount of months before the carrier will give you the code. Not sure how many months Verizon requires. I'd probably just pay the extra money for the unlocked version if you're set on using it pay as you go. I'm sure somebody who knows more about Verizon phones and policies will chime in eventually!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Well thanks for the info you could provide and the welcome. I'm not in a rush so I guess I'll have to wait and see what's around the corner. I've also been looking into phones at a similar price range as the unlocked models but the Moto E still looks like one of the best for the price.

Upvote 0
Well thanks for the info you could provide and the welcome. I'm not in a rush so I guess I'll have to wait and see what's around the corner. I've also been looking into phones at a similar price range as the unlocked models but the Moto E still looks like one of the best for the price.
I agree that the Moto E is good for the price. You could probably find the last gen Moto G for around the same price, it has a nicer 720p screen. Also check eBay for a Nexus 4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones