1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

need help with android go edition

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by eaglepep, Feb 6, 2021.

1. eaglepep

eaglepep Lurker

I have been regretting my choice of purchasing a phone with Android Go edition, cannot move files out of the downloads folder with either the Downloads app or the Files Go app and CANNOT FIND ANY HELP INFO FOR ANDROID GO... all the searches I do NEVER include info that relates specifically to GO Editions.

WHERE DO I GO FOR HELP?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what device do you have?

mikedt likes this.
  3. eaglepep

eaglepep Lurker

Alcatel 1 with Android Go Edition 8.1

4. ocnbrze

the files go app sounds like a built in file manager app....correct? is there no move files function? what happens when you try to move the files?

Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  5. eaglepep

eaglepep Lurker

this is the menu I get when I tap the 3 vertical dots beside the picture when viewing it in Files Go

Attached Files:

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Can Android Go install third-party apps from the Play Store? If so, try installing another more capable file manager, and see if that can do it.

I've only heard of Android Go, never seen an Android Go device, and don't know much about it.

#6 mikedt, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  7. ocnbrze

what about long pressing on the file? nothing? sorry i never dealt with android go before nor an alcatel device.

8. eaglepep

eaglepep Lurker

I found a work around... a USB cable and Windows File Manager, will not be recommending Android Go to anyone, not even my worst enemies.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. ocnbrze

LOL

cheap phones=cheap phones

Dannydet likes this.
  10. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Now hold on, pardner..
    Any file manager from the play store can be installed on your device and used in place of the pre installed files go app.
    No reason to get hot under the collar.

puppykickr, svim, Hadron and 2 others like this.
  11. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Nothing wrong with Android Go.

It is a small, efficient, unbloated version of the normal Android OS.

How do I know?
    Because I am using one right now to type this.

But, like any other device running any OS, the stock apps generally suck.
    And any stock app from Google is going to suck even worse.
    (Google Go, Files Go, etc.)

So, that being out of the way, let me give some 'simple' advice.

https://www.simplemobiletools.com/

Find the apps you want to try.
    I suggest Gallery Pro and File Manager Pro first, to solve your immediate problem with moving files.

Do not mess with Google Play Store, as the Pro versions of the apps are available on F-Droid.

F-Droid is excellent, the other members here will verify that.

https://f-droid.org/

Iam using the same OS as you, and I replaced all of the stock apps that I could with Simple Mobile Tools.

There is nothing wrong with a cheap device, you just need to make it work for you.

The funny thing is- even if I had a high dollar device, these are the same apps that I would want to be using.

Davdi, Dannydet, Hadron and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The problem here isn't Android Go, it's that Google's "Files" app is one of the worst file browsers ever written for Android. In fact it reminds me of the "Files" app on iOS, a system that hides the filesystem from the user and whose "files" app has correspondingly limited functionality. Sadly I wouldn't even put it past Google to have deliberately chosen to make this app as limited as it is, because "making things familiar to Apple users" seems genuinely to be one of their priorities these days, even at the cost of functionality or usability (their "gesture" navigation in Android 10 and 11 was clearly designed to be iPhone-like, to the extent that it introduced clashes with standard features of Android app design as well as being slower and less fluid than what preceded it even after months of usage).

So if you'd bought Google's top-end device, a Pixel, rather than a low-end Android Go device, you'd have the same cruddy app pre-installed. It's not Android vs Android Go, it's Google being crap at app design. So the solution is the same: ignore the garbage the manufacturer includes and install a decent file browser/manager/explorer (all 3 names mean the same thing). That's what the Play Store is for. You certainly don't have to waste time using USB connections and a computer just to move files.

puppykickr, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  13. I think you can press and hold the item your moving for a few seconds then it should highlight the item and should show something to let you move it but im not sure