1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need Help with Barnacle wifi tether noob

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Biglurr54, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Biglurr54

Biglurr54 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    I am completely new to this whole smart phone thing. I have had my Droid Incredible for a year and have done nothing but enjoy the gps and internet on it. I got brave and rooted my phone for the first time ever. I rooted because i want to be able to connect it to my wifes Ipad. I downloaded Barnacle wifi and i cant connect anything. Ive tried the Ipad and my desk top which is running xp. Both devices can find the Barnacle signal in the wireless networks part. When i connect to Barnacle it connect and gives me an ip address. I have no internet access and the Barnacle App says that i have no clients connected. Are there settings in need to mess with? I have no idea what to do and im not very tech smart so i need laymans terms. Any help would be great! Thanks Guys!

Advertisement

2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    I personally haven't used Barnacle, so I'll recommend that you use wifi tether instead. You can grab the installer here (don't get the experimental).

3. Biglurr54

Biglurr54 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    I tried the Wifi tether app as well. That doesn't allow me to connect either. Im defiantly missing something some where. I checked to make sure my phone is rooted and it is. Both apps dont recognize any devices trying to connect to the phone. All the devices i try to connect to the phone find the phone and connect fine but there is no internet access. Ive tried three computers and my wife's Ipad. what setting am i missing?

4. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    I use Open Garden with my Dinc. And it works great.

I haven't used Barnacle myself, so don't know anything about it specifically. For better help, a bit more information may be needed. Have you set the SSID to a unique name and ensure it's a different name than other networks in the area? Have you changed the channel used? Usually just leave it on channel 1. Did you set encryption? Did you set any access control?

[edit]Oh, forgot to ask. Are you running any custom ROMs?

5. Biglurr54

Biglurr54 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    im not sure what you just said. Haha. The Channels used is channel 6. I dont know what that means. i didnt set an encryption. i figured i would keep it as simple as i can. i couldnt find any access controls to mess with. and i doubt im running any custom roms. i just rooted my phone thats it. The computers find the phone and they say they have connected to the network. The computers dont show up on the phone for access.

6. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    Try using channel 1. I've changed to a different channel before, and had issues with some devices not connecting properly, then when I set it back to 1 it worked fine.