• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with Battery Life and Phone not sleeping

sptddog

Apr 19, 2010
I come from the Dinc. I used to get it off the charger at around 6:30-7am, and it would be at about half the battery at 5ish on my way home. If I needed heavy use that night, I'd charge, if not, I'd leave it and it would barely move until bedtime.

With the Rezound, I'm dead daily at 3pm with maybe a 1/2 hour of internet/FB, 20 texts, and not much else. No good. I know it's not sleeping at times, because I can tell from the awake/up times. Sometimes it sleeps, sometimes it doesn't. The apps running in the background seem to be about the same each time I check - but most of them show times running equal to the Up time. I have the phones settings set almost identical as I operated on the Dinc, except for screen brightness, I tried taking that all the way back to half with no improvement. I also turned of 4g (not in a great 4g area), and my power level is set at normal (also tried high - didn't make any difference). At times it clearly sleeps - UP/Awake times different, but most of the time they are the same.

This all leads me to believe something is hanging in the background.

Here is what is running (all the time - if I shut them off, they restart):
Sync Service
HTC Location Service (includes AutoSettingService/ConnectToPCService within that setting)
Google Services (includes google messaging service (which I don't use)) within that setting)
Maps (NetworkLocationService within)
Mobile IM (includes HtcMimService/MIMConnectivityService within - none of which I use)
FB Chat (includes FB Chat Service - again, never used)
HtcDm (includes DmService)
Facebook App
Flex T9 text input

Everything on there but the FB app shows running the exact same time as the phone's UP time. What the heck is the FB Chat, the Mobile IM, and Google Messaging - that I never use but appear to be running?

Something isn't allowing the phone to sleep, and I can't find it. It's making me crazy. I suspect FB, and I'm wondering if I delete the FB app I use (which came on the phone), and download the app from the market, would that help?

How do I find it? I'm not interesting in rooting - I get the pros, but I'm not will to do it.

Also, the sleep setting under the power mode. I have that set to automatic - does that have anything to do with the phone sleeping when the screen is turned off/locked? Seems like it's a 'quiet time' option, not a true sleep mode.....

I checked my phone and I have the same background processes plus a few more. I am not getting the battery drain you are experiencing. My thought is that you may have your phone set to sync continuously which could contribute to the drain. I set mine to manual because I have so many feeds it would kill me to get continuous sync. If not maybe you just have a weak battery and can replace it.

Also check the menu>settings>about phone>battery use to see what is using the battery.

Upvote 0
It says Display is the primary user of the battery (I have it set at about 3/4 on the slider - same as on the Dinc screen), then wifi (same as the Dinc)....all appears 'normal' there as far as the usage goes, and looks like my Dinc did. Percentages for 'use' look right, just a too fast drain.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Great phone, but the battery is much worse than my TBolt. My Battery use shows Display 97%. I have the display set at 25% like I always did on the Bolt and since I work a night shift, I was asleep all day with the phone asleep and charging. I know the Rezound has a great high resolution display that I'm not really appreciating with the brightness set at 25%, but I'm use to leaving it set low to conserve the battery and then turning it up when I need it.

I also have the syncing set to manual and have done all of the other tricks I learned using the TBolt.

Is 97% usage from the display normal with it set at 25%?

I have done 2-3 full discharge/recharge cycles with some bump charging along the way and it does seem to have gotten better, but better still isn't good and the battery life still bites. I'm using the extended battery since I doubt if the standard battery would last more more than 5-6 hours if that long. I have conditioned both the standard and extended batteries the same.

The facebook stuff also drives me nuts since I hate facebook and I turn it off about 2-3 times a day.

I hope there's help for this because I really liked my Bolt and didn't have a lot of the problems some others did, but I'm crazy about the Rezound since it fixes the few problems I did have with the Bolt and I don't think anything else out right now can compare.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Your plight is identical to mine ever since I've owned the phone. I ended up buying the extended battery, which has improved things. Right now I'm at 7h 32m and the battery is one notch above half. I've been squeezing about 13+ hours out of it lately with the same Normal settings that you are running. I have come to the belief that weak cell signals are really the overwhelming enemy of this phone's battery. On days when I am in an area with really strong signal, my battery holds a charge noticeably longer. When I'm at home, where I can barely make a phone call, the thing sinks like a stone.

Upvote 0
My phone has been on for 7 hrs and 21 min.on battery. Display is 61% of battery use with the display set to auto. I have been on 5 calls (20 min) and 6 emails and 7 text messages and about 25 min using apps and internet. Location is on for VRZ and HTC locators. Most of this time I have been on Wi-Fi and 4G.

My standard battery is still at 70%

Do either of you have mobile hotspot active by mistake or bluetooth or GPS on constantly?

BTW, I also hate facebook and do not have an account but it still runs in the background. I think that root is the only solution for that.

Upvote 0
Your plight is identical to mine ever since I've owned the phone. I ended up buying the extended battery, which has improved things. Right now I'm at 7h 32m and the battery is one notch above half. I've been squeezing about 13+ hours out of it lately with the same Normal settings that you are running. I have come to the belief that weak cell signals are really the overwhelming enemy of this phone's battery. On days when I am in an area with really strong signal, my battery holds a charge noticeably longer. When I'm at home, where I can barely make a phone call, the thing sinks like a stone.

That's possible, but in my case, I'm in a strong area for both phone and 4G where I live. I haven't had any problems with making calls, or surfing since I left my other carrier and switched to Verizon. One reason I tried the Rezound was because I use the phone's hotspot to tether to my laptop at work. I work in what Verizon calls an extended area, but with a good 4G network, but the Bolt has gotten so bad that I can barely get any connection, let alone 4G. The Rezound on the other hand has had a great connection when tethered. I haven't tried setting the Rezound to 3G only when I'm using it normally, but I always left 4G on with the Bolt and according to the phone, 97% of the usage is the display.

Upvote 0
My phone has been on for 7 hrs and 21 min.on battery. Display is 61% of battery use with the display set to auto. I have been on 5 calls (20 min) and 6 emails and 7 text messages and about 25 min using apps and internet. Location is on for VRZ and HTC locators. Most of this time I have been on Wi-Fi and 4G.

My standard battery is still at 70%

Do either of you have mobile hotspot active by mistake or bluetooth or GPS on constantly?

BTW, I also hate facebook and do not have an account but it still runs in the background. I think that root is the only solution for that.

I always turn off the hotspot when I'm not using it. I have always left bluetooth on, but it only shows 1% usage. I leave the GPS on, but it has always been my understanding that if you are not using any location apps and it shows inactive in the status bar that it isn't using any battery. Maybe that's different with the Rezound, but the only things showing in my battery usage are
Display 97%, Cell standby 2% and Bluetooth 1%.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Glad to see I'm not the only one. So many raved that the battery life was great and that it was better than the bolt. I'm getting slower drain here at home it seems. I'm on WiFi at home... So maybe the lack of wi-fi during the day drains more than my dinc. Don't think a mobile signal is an issue at work.

Frustrated. Really don't want to have to can this phone.

Upvote 0
there is an icon on the top of my phone that looks like the location symbol - it's next to the 3G, and next to the Bluetooth icon. What is that?

Today it's 1116, with 48 minutes of awake time on the phone and 4 hours of use time, and it's at half the battery with wi-fi turned off. That means really that the battery life didn't impact with wi-fi turned off, since I get about 6-7 hours out of the phone with the same use (and I"ll use it again at lunch). I turned the bluetooth off and that got rid of the bluetooth icon next to the 3G icon. Also turned off the GPS, only location service I left on was the google one (cause nothing updates including weather if I turn that off too). That other button (that looks like the location icon) next to the 3G remains, even with GPS turned off. I thought that was the GPS icon - but it seems to be on all the time. I was surprised actually that the bluetooth icon was on all the time too until I manually turned it off - I never ever turned bluetooth or GPS off on my Dinc and neither icon was up there unless I was actually connected to the bluetooth in my car.

Upvote 0
The other questions I forgot - will ICS help the battery or further use/hinder it?

Also, when the Dinc first came out, there was no 'quick charge' - I can't remember what the deal was, but something that made it take forever to charge via a charger/car charger...maybe something about overheating - that was fixed in a furture update to the phone. It was noticable - on the 45 minute ride home, my phone would almost fully charge. The rezound seems to take forever. I'm wondering if HTC limited the Rezound the same way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones