1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Need help with current info about LG Optimus V

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotrfreak16, Sep 29, 2011.

1. lotrfreak16

lotrfreak16 Newbie
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    I have been looking around at many different forums, many different threads, and lots of reviews, personal and corporate, that have to deal with the issues and problems with the LG Optimus V. Many of them are much older than I would like to read (such as middle 2010 when it is currently late September 2011) due to being old. What is the current state of the battery issues/3g or data drops/problems with the phone? If I bought one new off the shelf RIGHT NOW and fully stock updated everything, would all the "worrysome problems" be fixed? If not, what would the problems be, and what permanent fixes are out there?

I know I'm a noob and probably asking for information that is already out there, but I'm just asking so I can get all the up-to-date information (as of September 29th, 2011) in one place so I can use my very low college-student budget wisely in choosing my phone. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. lizm

lizm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    I very rarely have 3G drops and when I do going in and out of airplane mode fixes it.

3. G19

G19 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    TWS bug is still in some people's phone. I bought my phone last month and it had the bug. No big deal, just airplane mode for a second every time you turn the phone on and it won't affect you.

Or can do like I did and root your phone and flash a rom like bumblebee. The maker of that rom fixed the bug. Plus you get other awesome advantages/upgrades. Battery life is fine on this phone, especially running bumblebee. My phones been on for 9 hours and the battery still has 77% left. I've been lightly using it all day.

4. lotrfreak16

lotrfreak16 Newbie
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    @G19, if you know what is the best way to manage roms and what best roms are out there, I would be SOOO appreciative if you'd reply with the links to those threads with the how-to's, I have been looking into flashing the phone once I get it, just wasn't sure what the best ROMs would be and the best practices to make sure I'm safe if something messes up. I don't want a bricked device lol

5. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Go here [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums
    Here https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary
    For a guide on how to use ROMTools which will allow you to 1. install a custom recovery which will allow you to make a backup of the stock ROM,Flash a kernel,ROM,update,or patch. 2.change your boot animation. 3.Wipe Dalvik cache 4. mount system/rw and a couple more things. ALL WITHOUT HAVING TO PERMANENTLY ROOT YOUR PHONE. Go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-custom-kernel-rom-change-boot-animation.html
    For a guide to permanently Rooting your phone without having to use a computer go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html
    In case in the future you might want to use ROM Manager(which can cause a recovery loop if you don't know what you are doing) go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/419080-truth-about-rom-manager.html . ROM Manager is a pretty cool app once you know what you can do(and how) and what you cant' do.

Froyo Based ROM's that are the best:1. Harmonia is hands down the leader in available phone app memory,but laggs a little in the speed department(you can download a overclocking app and safely overclock to 729-748MHz range. 2. Bumblebee doesn't have quite the phone app memory,but, comes overclocked at 768 or 787MHz(can't remember which),and can be overclocked to 825-864MHz depending on the condition of your processor(there are slight variances in the processor due to manufacturing flaws)

Gingerbread based ROM's that are the best: All the ROMs in the Github. These ROM's also require Google apps(gapps),and are best used with the aospCWMod recovery unless you have an "S" screen ,then use Xionia_cwma_1.2518.6

If you get a blackscreen when trying to install a Fryoy based ROM(Leslie Ann is in the middle of fixing that problem with her Harmonia ROM) Then go here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html
    your phone has an "S" screen

The BACKside ROM"s latest build is now compatible with the "S" screen along with the IHO-Purity-X. I'm not sure about the others so you will have to search the dev's of the other ROM's sites to see.

I hope this is enough info to get you started.

6. learning2

learning2 Guest
    None
    I just bought the 100 dollar bestbuy sale version last night--it definitely has the TWS/battery drain issue, and I needed to do the factory settings change in the sticky at the top of the forum.

I have also force-stopped WHERE and Gallery, based on advice in other threads here. Really too soon to tell how long my battery will last, I have a lot of playing around and learning to do still.

7. G19

G19 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Andyopie pretty much responded with everything you need to know. I did all the modifications to my phone following some of the guides and threads he's posted.

I tried harmonia and bumblebee. I found that I liked bumblebee more. They are both incredibly similar though. I believe the latest versions of both of them give your phone 176mb free. Bumblebee also keeps the stock wallpapers and sounds which I lost when I installed harmonia. When I downloaded the "sound package" for harmonia it put the stupid "virgin mobile" sound back into the powerup. I also like the fact that bumblebee comes with the built in overclocker and the boot animation is cooler.

8. jetfactor

jetfactor Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    gallery is a HORRIBLE battery drainer. one HUGE advantage to rooting your phone and running a custom rom is the ability to uninstall apps like gallery. i'm running BACKside (based on CM7 & gingerbread) and the battery life is phenomenal.

Tags: