• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with defaulting to handcent

I've had my ERIS for a week or so now, decided to try Handcent and really love it, but it is not my default sms program :(. I have read everything in this forum that I could find on defaulting to Handcent, no matter what I try I'm still defaulting to the sms program already on the Eris. I know this has been discussed over and over and I have read and tried them all, could someone please clue me in on what I must be doing wrong. When I get a text it is not in Handcent, when I got to messages it is not Handcent. I have gone to the sms program and unchecked everything and it still doesn't default to Handcent. Please help.....

I don't get the "do I want to set Handcent as default" and never have. So do I have to actually choose Handcent instead of choose messages each time or when I choose Home page then messages should the Handcent app just come up? Cause it doesn't, the default sms program comes up. I did exactly what you said. I just don't get it. Maybe I should just uninstall and start over, you think?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Try going to settings>applications>manage applications>messages. Scroll down til you see "force stop" and click on that. Un-click the default button also. Go back to your home screen and click on handcent (I am assuming you have the app on your home screen) and you should get the message about which app to use as your default. If not, try sending yourself a text with handcent...do not open the text. Power down the phone and power it back up before you read your test message. You might get the default message at this point. Good luck.

Upvote 0
You could try un-defaulting the standard messaging app by settings>applications>manage applications>messages>clear defaults.

Then when you receive a text message, use the notification bar to click on the text message, and then you should get a pop up menu to choose the default messenger app.

Now that I think about it, I don't think i ever had to set handcent as my default app.

Handcent is much better than chompSMS IMO because of the built in pop up notification. It also has the perfect settings for making everything exactly how I want it.

Upvote 0
Also, in case you didn't know, you have to use the shortcut for Handcent NOT the Messages shortcut that comes stock on the phone.

I made that mistake and couldn't figure out why when I hit messages Handcent didn't open. I just created a shortcut for Handcent on the desktop and works like a charm :)

Upvote 0
So I finally just got so frustrated that I uninstalled Handcent. Not only could I never get it to be the default sms app, whenever I tried to send a text message it always said I was sending a voicemail, never could figure that out either. I am just so frustrated at this point with my phone. It is making me feel stupid which I don't like at all. :( Just gonna take a break from it and think about it again tomorrow. thanks so much for trying to help me out!

Upvote 0
So I finally just got so frustrated that I uninstalled Handcent. Not only could I never get it to be the default sms app, whenever I tried to send a text message it always said I was sending a voicemail, never could figure that out either. I am just so frustrated at this point with my phone. It is making me feel stupid which I don't like at all. :( Just gonna take a break from it and think about it again tomorrow. thanks so much for trying to help me out!
try chomp sms with sms popup.

Upvote 0
Also, in case you didn't know, you have to use the shortcut for Handcent NOT the Messages shortcut that comes stock on the phone.

I made that mistake and couldn't figure out why when I hit messages Handcent didn't open. I just created a shortcut for Handcent on the desktop and works like a charm :)

Same here.

That and going into the stock messenger and disabling the notification feature caused Handcent to take over messaging altogether as if it's the stock app.

I like it very much, it's quite intuitive and has features I need. Plus it just looks better.

Upvote 0
Same here.

That and going into the stock messenger and disabling the notification feature caused Handcent to take over messaging altogether as if it's the stock app.

I like it very much, it's quite intuitive and has features I need. Plus it just looks better.

Yep, disable notification and auto retrieval in the stock messaging app.

Handcent + Swype = <3

Upvote 0
I have kept the default HTC Sense widget for messaging on my sprint hero and have also downloaded Handcent.

So i undefaulted all of my messaging apps.

Here is the strange part. If i click on the visible message area of the widget i will be prompted to pick an application to use to open the message. If i click on one of the two buttons at the bottom (View List or Compose) i am automatically directed to the stock messaging app.

So for anyone having headaches, try putting the HTC widget on your screen and click in the big white space displaying the message. This should work.

Upvote 0
I have kept the default HTC Sense widget for messaging on my sprint hero and have also downloaded Handcent.

So i undefaulted all of my messaging apps.

Here is the strange part. If i click on the visible message area of the widget i will be prompted to pick an application to use to open the message. If i click on one of the two buttons at the bottom (View List or Compose) i am automatically directed to the stock messaging app.

So for anyone having headaches, try putting the HTC widget on your screen and click in the big white space displaying the message. This should work.

I am having this same issue... I love that handcent will open when I click the message itself, but I would LOVE for it to open the handcent inbox when I click the Inbox button on the bottom of the widget. The compose button goes to handcent for me... I have 2/3 things working on that widget!! AAAARGH!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones