• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with Exchange..3 things I can't do...

Conn11

Lurker
Nov 17, 2009
Can someone give me assistance on the following. I am really frustrated with the mail client on these phones..

1) I cannot find my corporate directory. The only contacts available are the ones in "My contacts" How do I email other people from my Co.? HTC offers this, i don't see it on my Droid.

2) I cannot accept a meeting invitation on my phone. Only gives me the option to reply like a regular email. How do accept meeting notices so they show up on my calendar.

3) I need a signature on my emails. Gmail seems to be the only account with this option.

Thanks for the Help!

Jim

I can only help with the directory part.

Hope it helps

The only thing that you will not be able to access with the Droid is the Global Address List (on the Blackberry, this was accessed using the Lookup feature.) There is a work around for this by installing a free application:

Touch Market
Touch Search (magnifying glass)
Enter Corporate Directory
Touch Search
Touch Motorola Corporate Directory
Touch Install

Upvote 0
Conn11 - I have been feeling the same pains you have. After using a blackberry for 5 years, there is no way I am going back after getting my Droid. That said these are the few peevs that I would like to find ways to work around. Searching a global address list and accepting meeting invitations would be very helpful...

The other thing I would like to know is there a way to search messages or filter messages by date or sender?

Upvote 0
Had the same problem when I got my Droid, but I purchased Touchdown from the market. You can use the free one for 5 days to make sure it works with your work exchange server. It works just as good as Outlook, you can get your email through push or pull. You can accept meetings, use a signature etc. I've used it for about a month and it's great.

You can also choose which folders to sync, can move email to those folders and you can filter mail. There is also a Global Address function (GAL).

Upvote 0
I use Touchdown for the calendar invites, global address book, and email widget- but I find the base OS corp email program to be more responsive. I experience lag and force close with the TD email client- gets annoying, but I still use it for reasons above. If Motorola/Verizon can fix the issues above I would probably uninstall TD.

Spell check is the next email feature that is a must. There has to be a fix for this soon I hope.

Upvote 0
jjack, thanks so much!! this will work for now as a band-aid fix until they update this mail problem. having to go to a separate App to use it is a PITA and completely unnecessary.

TD, looks promising but like you said, The base OS should do these as a BASIC function.

My friends have HTC Android phones and they are enjoying all these features. How did HTC get this right and Motorola screw it up so bad. ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Yes, are there particular attachments that are not working or all of them? I have never had any issues opening anything...

I've tried PDF, and MS Word. I'll have the spinning circle with the "fetching attachment" message, and it'll just stall. However, if I forward the same attachment containing e-mail from my Exchange account to my GMAIL account on my Droid, it'll open without any issues.

Upvote 0
Using the built-in Exchange functionality of the Droid, can you guys open attachments? I'm not able to.
There is a bug in the stock mail app that prevents you from opening attachments if SSL is enabled in your exchange account settings. Disabling SSL typically allows them to come through (if your exchange policies are not enforcing SSL).

The 2.0.1 update appears to have fixed this bug - I can now enable SSL and receive attachments. Have you updated to 2.0.1 yet?

Upvote 0
Hmm that strange. I am using a corporate exchange account and have not had any problems. I wonder if there are maybe some setting on your exchange server that is possibly limiting types of connections. You have programs installed that can view those type of docs right? Other than that, it seems odd. Maybe someone here with more up to date exchange experience can help out.

Upvote 0
There is a bug in the stock mail app that prevents you from opening attachments if SSL is enabled in your exchange account settings. Disabling SSL typically allows them to come through (if your exchange policies are not enforcing SSL).

The 2.0.1 update appears to have fixed this bug - I can now enable SSL and receive attachments. Have you updated to 2.0.1 yet?

Yes, I do have SSL enabled. I'm still waiting for the 2.0.1 update. I prefer not to do it manually. I hope this update will correct this issue for me as it has for you!

Upvote 0
Hmm that strange. I am using a corporate exchange account and have not had any problems. I wonder if there are maybe some setting on your exchange server that is possibly limiting types of connections. You have programs installed that can view those type of docs right? Other than that, it seems odd. Maybe someone here with more up to date exchange experience can help out.

Yeah, I'm able to open the same documents from my GMAIL account on my phone. We're not limiting any connections as well. I'll take a look at our exchange server later today and review the settings, but hopefully the update will fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones