• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with friends phone

mojorisin7178

Apr 27, 2011
So My boss has a droidx running 2.2.1 which I assume is froyo. I checked out his phone and there is an OTA for it he is doing it tonight when he goes home. My first question is this update is it the new gingerbread update that I got for my TMO LG G2x? I got 2.3.3. His service is VZW which I think this phone is exclusive to but I'm not too sure about that. Is that what it is? The next question is is it a good Idea to do the update? I ask because I know alot of peole had problems with the g2x update I did not though.

The next thing I want to ask is he changed his gmail because he changed jobs and wanted a new a account but his phone wont let him delete the first one without doing a factory reset. So he wants it gone is there another way or no? And the other thing is his new email has a problem syncing soetimes he gets the emails right away sometimes it takes 6 hours to get to the phone. I think it is just to the phone not the server but I would have to double check on that. So would updating the phone fix that or is there something else to do. Is this a common problem with this phone?
Any help you guys can give would be great I use this four all the time for my phone and I love it.
Thanks Charlie

In answer to your first question, yes, the update is most likely gingerbread, or 2.3.3. Some folks have had problems with it, and some haven't. Personally I haven't had any problems since the update other than slightly worse battery life; but that may be coming from apps, not the OS.
As for the second question, I'm hoping more knowledgeable members will chime in; don't have an answer for that one.

Upvote 0
Well his apps are tied to that particular gmail account, but he doesn't have to use it. He can just turn off the syncing to the one he doesn't want to use, and enable a second one. He won't be able to get rid of it completely (unless he's willing to forgo anything tied to it), but for all practical purposes he won't notice a difference

Reactions: mojorisin7178
Upvote 0
If he is going to do the ugrade to 2.3.3 would it not be better for a clean and bug free install if he backed up all his contacts and apps and did a factory reset so the phone was back to factory spec, then did the upgrade.
I would imagen when the OEMs do these upgrades at the manufacturers they are doing them on clean phones. Upgrading to 2.3.3 from a clean factory install of 2.2.1.

If your boss decides to do this GOContacts and AppMonster are the two apps I use to back up my phone.
Good luck to your boss and please let us know how this comes out

Upvote 0
If he is going to do the ugrade to 2.3.3 would it not be better for a clean and bug free install if he backed up all his contacts and apps and did a factory reset so the phone was back to factory spec, then did the upgrade.

+1

Some people have had issues AFTER the GB update (like battery life), which was fixed by a factory reset. For that reason, I'd recommend taking the update first, factory resetting to change Gmail accounts, then restoring applicable backed up apps, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones