• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help with gingerbread

cougar214

Android Expert
Feb 9, 2011
Hi guys. I'm looking into possibly putting the android 2.3.3 gingerbread on my phone and I have a few questions to make sure I choose the right files. My phone is stock fw (2.3.340)I believe you call this the froyo, I have rooted and overclocked it but nothing else.

Can you tell me what files I need on my phone and which gingerbread rom I should use? I know there are a few different ones and that makes it kinda confusing for first timers like me.

The list of apps I have currently on my phone is as follows,

z4root
titanium backup
droid overclock
superuser
system panel
droid x bootstrap

If there is anything else I need please let me know. I have been reading up on this update and there is a lot of info but the way you put it on your phone varies. Some say you need to sbf your phone with the 2.3.340 but I already have this fw so I assume I don't need to do this step?

I have the instructions from the site I got the 2.3.3 from and it looks pretty straight forward to do. I got the files and instructions from a place called Gottabemobile.com and these are the instructions they give for this file,

" >1. Download the file from above and drop it on the root of your SD card.
2. Rename it to update.zip.
3. Turn your phone all the way off.
4. Boot into recovery: *Hold the Home button + Power. When triangle appears, press Search.

5. Choose the option to install update.zip using your volume keys.
6. Your phone will now load the new Gingerbread.
7. Enjoy!

Rooted users will have to go back to Gingerbread version 2.3.340 in order for this to work. So. follow those and you should have Gingerbread up and running on your Droid X in no time."

Is this correct? Is that all I have to do to my phone the way it sits now? As I said, there are a lot of posts on this but I don't know which one to follow.

P:S The file name for the file I d/l'ed is "Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip"

o"k thanks Tom. I have a couple more questions for you, one, what should I use to make a full backup of my phone in case something goes wrong and I have to flash back to factory?

And second, I have the droid x bootstrap but that link you gave me says to use the bootstrap for droid 2. I read up on this and the info I find says it's because it has something to do with not being able to use the usb debuggin with the droid x bootstrap?

I assume this means without usb debugging I wont have a proper root? And lastly, when it says to drop the files on the root of my sd card what exactly does that mean? Do I just put the files on the card itself and not in any specific folder?

Upvote 0
O'k, i followed those instructions to the letter and all I get is is the thing telling me it's aborting because there is no such file or directory. What gives? This is the exact message i get when i try to flash,

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--install from sd card...
.Finding update package...
Opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Am I doing something wrong? I have the phone rooted, using D2 bootstrap, restart in bootstrap recovery, select apply sdcard:update.zip.

Upvote 0
O'k, i followed those instructions to the letter and all I get is is the thing telling me it's aborting because there is no such file or directory. What gives? This is the exact message i get when i try to flash,

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--install from sd card...
.Finding update package...
Opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Am I doing something wrong? I have the phone rooted, using D2 bootstrap, restart in bootstrap recovery, select apply sdcard:update.zip.

Edit: Cougar, the directions above are for going into the phones stock recovery and doing a flash. Since you are rooted, use the instructions below.

Turn off debugging mode and use droid x bootstrapper to get into the clockwork recovery. Instead of renaming the file, do what I wrote below.

Instead of apply sdcard:update.zip you need to:
1) Select "install zip from sdcard"
2) "Choose zip from sdcard"
3) Scroll through the list until you see the file name that you placed on the sd card and select it.
4) Scroll down to select "Yes"

Upvote 0
Edit: Cougar, the directions above are for going into the phones stock recovery and doing a flash. Since you are rooted, use the instructions below.

Turn off debugging mode and use droid x bootstrapper to get into the clockwork recovery. Instead of renaming the file, do what I wrote below.

Instead of apply sdcard:update.zip you need to:
1) Select "install zip from sdcard"
2) "Choose zip from sdcard"
3) Scroll through the list until you see the file name that you placed on the sd card and select it.
4) Scroll down to select "Yes"
wow im suprised this worked for ya, lol i tried 10 times until i finally just renamed and installed in stock recovery lol

Upvote 0
alprazolam, I new to all this so please be patient with me....lol....I discovered I was doing it wrong lastnight and did it the way you said. But unfortunately I'm getting another error. I can't remember the long code it gave but it looked like an md5 code with ur
email in the line. my active gmail account couldn't be messin with it could it? I know your settings or contacts are backed up through gmail this is why i ask.

If I rename the file, there is 3 of them so what do I do? Rename them to update1, update2, and update3?

Upvote 0
Yeah I know. that's what I'm using, the droid 2 bootstrap. I keep getting this error,

error in /sd card/blur_version.23588.p1.zip.

It's much longer than that of course but thats the ending message. I have usb debugging on. In order to use bootstrap you have to be rooted so I obviously don't unroot. I'm running the stock FW. The only things I ever did to this phone was root, overclock, and used titanium backup to remove verizons crapware.

At this time, I don't have the phone overclocked. I put it back to stock speeds. None of my apps are modified that I know of ( depends on what is considered modified I guess). I guess the only thing I can do is take the time to type out this whole error so maybe someone can tell me what's going on. Ugh, here goes.

Verifying current status...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/appB1urEmail.apk" , "b65bd14b563793dd3f8089f847abfa6c031e4241", "48860d8848e34cca2eb7957b71684705da418f77")
E:Error in /sdcard/Blur_version.23588.p1.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

That's the whole message I get. I have pulled my sd card, re downloaded the files, and tried with usb debugging on and off. What else can I do? I even performed a hard reset and put the phone back to factory.

Upvote 0
the smartest thing to do would be to sbf back to stock froyo.. odds are one of the stock apps you removed is causing the issue. The instructions for the update state you MUST be on stock froyo.

sbf back to stock, then do the update, and I'll bt it installs flawlessly.

BTW, there is a fix for some deodex FC issues coming very soon. You might want to just instal the rooted version, and then see whats released later, instead of applying the deodex, and then applying fixes for it.

Upvote 0
So Gareee what you're saying is when I removed the verizon crapware it did something to the phone so i can't install this? Also, I just did another factory reset and my phone is telling me there is no sd card mounted but my sd card is in. I restarted the phone and pulled the sd card twice already with no luck. I didn't inadvertently kill my sd card did I?

EDIT: I got the card reading in the phone.....took a few restarts with the card out though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones