• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help with hacking the stock launcher, read this post to understand why.

Satires

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2012
Nowhere land..
I have always had launcher pro (The paid version) because I need the ability to have my homescreen to auto rotate to portrait or landscape mode. Launcher pro wroks great for this!

But...

When ever I am watching crackle or doing something on the web such as writing an article or just reading an article, the screen will revert to the stock home screen for a split second.

I can be reading an article and the screen sometimes does an auto rotate move all in it's own causing me to lose my place where I was reading. It's like a blip or something.

Sometimes it jumps to the stock home screen (Even though launcher pro is installed) and comes right back to the web page or like I said, the screen will do a flip.

With out any launcher installed what so ever I do not have thoae issues.

So I'm wondering if there's a way (I'm rooted) to hack the stock launcher to auto rotate without the need for an after market launcher.

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should put this in the rooting section. Move where you think it's more approprate. :)

This is so ironic you posted this, i just tried launcher pro and had the same problem. Launcher pro is a dead project at this point, nova launcher is better. As for that issue i would hold out for a complete room with only an aftermarket launcher.

I'm more turned off from Android the more i deal with ics. So many old features that made it convenient are now gone, like additional home screens.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that you can hack the Blur launcher this way, but you can try Go Launcher or ADW to see if those launchers fix the problem. Both are more recently updated than Launcher Pro.

(I ran LP+ for years on my old phone, but I now prefer ADW EX or Go if I am running a launcher replacement.)

The above response mentions Nova launcher - that's only available if you are running ICS or above.

Upvote 0
Launcher Pro was my favorite for a long time and I never experienced this issue.

Also, are you running Gingerbread still or an ICS leak? Because I thought GB still did rotate on its own even at the homescreen, and only with the upgrade to ICS did they somehow decide to remove that feature. If you are on ICS, then it's definitely time to stop using Launcher Pro considering they stopped development on that long before ICS even started coming out. If you're on ICS, give Apex Launcher a try (I think this is better than Nova Launcher but you can try that too). If you're on Gingerbread still, as suggested above, try something else like ADW. I know changing launchers can kind of ruin your familiarity with the phone for a day or two but it doesn't take long to get the settings back to how you like them and get used to it again. Although like I said I could have sworn Gingerbread would still rotate at the homescreen even with the stock launcher, but I haven't been on GB for so long that maybe I'm mistaken.

"Hacking" the stock launcher, maybe it's possible, but it just sounds like a lot of work compared to trying a different launcher free from the market. Launcher Pro definitely was awesome but we all come to that day where we realize we have to try something else since they stopped updating it.

Upvote 0
Launcher Pro was my favorite for a long time and I never experienced this issue.

Also, are you running Gingerbread still or an ICS leak? Because I thought GB still did rotate on its own even at the homescreen, and only with the upgrade to ICS did they somehow decide to remove that feature. If you are on ICS, then it's definitely time to stop using Launcher Pro considering they stopped development on that long before ICS even started coming out. If you're on ICS, give Apex Launcher a try (I think this is better than Nova Launcher but you can try that too). If you're on Gingerbread still, as suggested above, try something else like ADW. I know changing launchers can kind of ruin your familiarity with the phone for a day or two but it doesn't take long to get the settings back to how you like them and get used to it again. Although like I said I could have sworn Gingerbread would still rotate at the homescreen even with the stock launcher, but I haven't been on GB for so long that maybe I'm mistaken.

"Hacking" the stock launcher, maybe it's possible, but it just sounds like a lot of work compared to trying a different launcher free from the market. Launcher Pro definitely was awesome but we all come to that day where we realize we have to try something else since they stopped updating it.

I'm on gingerbread .905

I was thinking maybe there was a way to use a hexdecimal editor to tear into the blur launcher. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that you can hack the Blur launcher this way, but you can try Go Launcher or ADW to see if those launchers fix the problem. Both are more recently updated than Launcher Pro.

(I ran LP+ for years on my old phone, but I now prefer ADW EX or Go if I am running a launcher replacement.)

The above response mentions Nova launcher - that's only available if you are running ICS or above.

ADW did the same thing. I can try the go launcher.

I do have "No Lock" installed to disable the screen lock, maybe that could cause it?

I think I'll try to freeze the blur launcher to see if that helps.

Upvote 0
ADW did the same thing. I can try the go launcher.

I do have "No Lock" installed to disable the screen lock, maybe that could cause it?

I think I'll try to freeze the blur launcher to see if that helps.

I use NoLock and have at times seen a flash of the traditional lock page that lasts about a second.

You might try uninstalling NoLock as a test.

... Thom

Reactions: Satires
Upvote 0
What file is the stock launcher?

I think "blurhome2.apk"

I did rename the file extension to .bak and had to power the phone off because ot the force close notification wouldn't go away! lol

The phone was fine once rebooted. I ultimately just named the file like it was just to be safe and left it alone. :)

Reactions: chmodx
Upvote 0
/system/app/BlurHome2.apk (and there should be a .odex file), I believe. Be very careful. If you have safestrap or clockworkmod recovery, create a Nandroid backup before you do too much messing around.

Oops! beat me to it! lol

I was going down the list responding and then noticed your reply. Glad you could clarify what file it was, I wasn't 100% positive. :eek:

Upvote 0
Do realize that if you freeze your stock launcher and the current launcher of choice 'breaks' and you have no other launcher installed, you're SOL.

The problem with after market launchers is that (usually) they are running on top of the stock launcher. I'm thinking that No Lock is probably the culprit here, but when I ran LPP on my D1 I also recall something similar happening to me a few times - it's been so long now that I cannot recall if it was LPP specific, ROM specific or app specific.

In your case, since it is happening across many stock launchers, I'd guess that it is not launcher specific, but app specific.

Interestingly enough, when on GB, I found that initially my launcher would not rotate when in the car dock, but after going into the car dock menu, when I came back to the launcher home screen it was in landscape mode - so the stock blur launcher can do landscape, it's just a matter of figuring out why it is blocked from doing so.

Upvote 0
Do realize that if you freeze your stock launcher and the current launcher of choice 'breaks' and you have no other launcher installed, you're SOL.

The problem with after market launchers is that (usually) they are running on top of the stock launcher. I'm thinking that No Lock is probably the culprit here, but when I ran LPP on my D1 I also recall something similar happening to me a few times - it's been so long now that I cannot recall if it was LPP specific, ROM specific or app specific.

In your case, since it is happening across many stock launchers, I'd guess that it is not launcher specific, but app specific.

Interestingly enough, when on GB, I found that initially my launcher would not rotate when in the car dock, but after going into the car dock menu, when I came back to the launcher home screen it was in landscape mode - so the stock blur launcher can do landscape, it's just a matter of figuring out why it is blocked from doing so.

Yup, I thought of that scenario when I initially froze the blur launcher. When the phone rebooted I renamed it back to "blurhome2.apk" just to be on the safe side.

And I took thom's advice and disabled my "No lock" app and haven't had any trouble! :)

So you are correct, it was the no lock app. :)

I'm glad thos happened though because I found the "Holo launcher" and it ROCKS! I'll just disable the no lock feature when I'm doing things on the web or watching video. :)

Upvote 0
So am I the only one here that still uses LP?
I have used it since my OG droid and still love it.

I have the paid version of LP, but this other launcher is totally cool! :D

You can stack shortcuts both in the dock area and the desktop area. What this means is, one short cut can have multiple shortcut in one.

A good example, I keep certain phone utilities grouped under one shortcut. I tap on the shortcut and get a pop up with all the apps contained within said shortcut and tap on the desired app.

Give it a shot! :D It's called "Holo Launcher"

Upvote 0
So am I the only one here that still uses LP?
I have used it since my OG droid and still love it.

I used to love it but Apex and Nova have so many features that LPP doesn't and LPP was getting a bit too big for its britches for me. Haven't tried Holo yet, b/c the ICS stock Blur does everything I want it to and nothing more and usees less resources than a 3rd party launcher on top of it....

I have the paid version of LP, but this other launcher is totally cool! :D

You can stack shortcuts both in the dock area and the desktop area. What this means is, one short cut can have multiple shortcut in one.

A good example, I keep certain phone utilities grouped under one shortcut. I tap on the shortcut and get a pop up with all the apps contained within said shortcut and tap on the desired app.

Give it a shot! :D It's called "Holo Launcher"

Actually, Satires, this is also in Nova and Apex - and it is a default feature of ICS in general.

See pic:

2012-09-24 02.34.10.jpg

I thought it was a launcher specific thing too the first time I saw it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones