• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with hardware virtualization

Abaddon92

Lurker
Mar 6, 2017
León
Hey guys, I'm trying to run a small experiment here and got stuck, so I could use some help.

After running out of battery a couple of times playing games on my Nexus 10, I decided to try to set Android 6 KitKat up on a VMware virtual machine. So far so good, the machine is up and running (took a few hours, since video modes are tough as nails to make them work), and now I'm having trouble booting up games.

I tried good ol' Pokemon GO first, and the following message pops on screen: "Your hardware does not support this application, sorry!".

I really don't know what could be wrong here, and there are so many possibilities that maybe someone can narrow them down.

Can you please help me out?

I think the issue for Pokémon Go is that the virtual Android machine doesn't have a GPS, a gyro, or a camera, which that game requires. Also it's more than likely rooted, Pokémon won't run on a rooted system.

Android on a PC is running on an Intel or AMD x86 processor rather than the usual ARM that one finds in real Android devices, which again might cause compatibility issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think a camera probably can, because PCs often do have webcams, and VMware has prevision for those. But other things like a gyro sensor could be difficult. However for something like Pokemon Go, another issue is that Niantic have ensured that it will also only run on approved devices, like Samsungs, HTCs, etc. which have not been rooted and modified. Probably because of users attempting to cheat the system, like trying to play it in China, etc, where it's officially unavailable and banned. As I mentioned ealier, there's also the fact the virtual Android system is running and was built for x86 rather than ARM processors, some apps and games are just not compatible with that.

Upvote 0
I'm taking into account that Bluestacks works, which is a desktop emulator too. On top of that, I could cheat using my phone without an issue, but that's not quite the point. My goal here would be achieving what Bluestacks does on a basic level, which is capable of running Pokemon GO btw.

Besides, tablet/phone emulation support was added on VMware Workstation 10 according to the website, the problem now is I can't find the damn menu to add such features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones