• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with locked wildfires.....

nigsy

Android Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2011
Devon
Ok, I have been given 4 HTC wildfires from a company that has gone into administration.

The issue I have is that all four have a numeric password lock and they have all had attempts made to access them which has resulted in them being completley locked.

My plan was to root all 4 and sell them on, but I am now stuck.
Can't root using reflash as I can't set to USB debugging and when I try to boot into recovery I get the below screen.

HBOOT version is 0.80.0007

Ok, I have been given 4 HTC wildfires from a company that has gone into administration.

The issue I have is that all four have a numeric password lock and they have all had attempts made to access them which has resulted in them being completley locked.

My plan was to root all 4 and sell them on, but I am now stuck.
Can't root using reflash as I can't set to USB debugging and when I try to boot into recovery I get the below screen.

HBOOT version is 0.80.0007

I can imagin people being funny with the replying to this thread.

Upvote 0
I can imagin people being funny with the replying to this thread.

Not sure what you mean??

Been working through this on XDA but am getting nowhere, so if anyone has any ideas I'm listening - Seems a waste of 4 good phones to just bin them.

I have tried installing new RUU at HTC Dev - Message that the ROM is out of date and I need to do OTA update
Installing using reflash - It doesn't see my phone despite the correct android platform drivers being installed.

Running out of ideas.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean??

Been working through this on XDA but am getting nowhere, so if anyone has any ideas I'm listening - Seems a waste of 4 good phones to just bin them.

I have tried installing new RUU at HTC Dev - Message that the ROM is out of date and I need to do OTA update
Installing using reflash - It doesn't see my phone despite the correct android platform drivers being installed.

Running out of ideas.

Phones locked and it wasn't yours, has a lock on it which you need to remove.
A lot of people would probably look at this and not reply incase they were stolen.

not that I'm implying they are or anything, i ain't here to judge. Just letting you know.
You tried the RUU, i though't that would of done it.

Upvote 0
Phones locked and it wasn't yours, has a lock on it which you need to remove.
A lot of people would probably look at this and not reply incase they were stolen.

not that I'm implying they are or anything, i ain't here to judge. Just letting you know.
You tried the RUU, i though't that would of done it.

I'm with you now!!

No not stolen - Just donated to me, and if I can get them to work I can keep them.

Tried flashing the RUU but as the phone is running some antique android version, I need to update first - which of course I can't do!!

I'm wondering if there is anyway to push commands to it using terminal commands in Linux.

Upvote 0
The problem is exactly that, they were donated to you, who knows where they came from, and the easiest way to make sure they are safe, is whoever owned them before, they need to call them in and make sure the ESN is cleaned and out of the system. Now I do not know if they are a GSM phone or not, but I am sure someone else will chime in. That is the skepticism here, hope you understand ;)

I'm with you now!!

No not stolen - Just donated to me, and if I can get them to work I can keep them.

Tried flashing the RUU but as the phone is running some antique android version, I need to update first - which of course I can't do!!

I'm wondering if there is anyway to push commands to it using terminal commands in Linux.

Upvote 0
Have you tried the following steps - a quick Google search pulled these up.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC Desire is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and release the Power button
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

Reactions: nigsy
Upvote 0
Found this on HTC's website

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons
If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.
With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.
Note: If you are not sure whether your phone's power is turned off, remove and then reinsert the battery.
Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.
Press VOLUME UP to start the factory reset.

Is that what you are doing to get to the error screen you are currently getting?

Upvote 0
Just a word of caution with selling these phones. If the company has these under any sort of contract and by virtue of the financial situation they default on the contract, they could become blacklisted (ESN or IMEI) and render them unusable on mobile networks. They'd still be usable with wifi, but won't get calls, sms messages or mobile data.

Upvote 0
Just a word of caution with selling these phones. If the company has these under any sort of contract and by virtue of the financial situation they default on the contract, they could become blacklisted (ESN or IMEI) and render them unusable on mobile networks. They'd still be usable with wifi, but won't get calls, sms messages or mobile data.

No they weren't under contract. They were on rolling PAYG. My wife was one of the people who lost their jobs. I won the contract from the insolvency agency to decommission the networks and PC's, hence I am now sat on 4 wildfires and some laptops!!

I will have to pay a nominal fee for them, but this will be taken out of my payment from the administrators.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones