1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support need help with Mac addresses.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by maleandroiduser, May 1, 2016.

1. maleandroiduser

None

May 1, 2016
    Male
    Hi! New here and need a bit of help, please. I've been trying to cut my daughter's tablet time down by booting her off occasionally using the router Software and her MAC address. Unfortunately, I can't identify hers from her mother's tablet (same make) with an IP scanner AND right soon after I block it, it changes the IP address and the MAC address also And re-connects. I thought MAC addresses were static? TY

Advertisement

2. maleandroiduser

None

May 1, 2016
    Male
    Ok, guess I'm not welcome here. Admin,- please delete my account, Ty.

3. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Wait, you think you're not welcome just because you didn't get a fast response?
    Please bear in mind this is an enthusiast community and not an official support outlet with a guaranteed response time- ;)
    It is highly unlikely that any of your devices are changing their MAC addresses, this is usually coded into the hardware and doesn't change. There are exceptions where a MAC address of a device may be manually changed, but never dynamically without any user input and certainly not in a consumer tablet.
    What type of tablet is this exactly? Name brand or cheap Chinese variety? If it's something fairly common you might find some assistance in the device-specific sections of the forum-
    http://androidforums.com/categories/android-tablets-mids.223/

mikedt and Mikestony like this.
  4. Agamemnon

Agamemnon Lurker
    None

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Software Developer
    Ireland
    If you root your tablet, you can have a script run at boot time to set the MAC address specifically, so you will be able to identify it. I used an app called SManager that allows you to run scripts at boot time. its over a year ago but I can dig out the 3 line script for you if you give me a little time - different time zone here.

what's the make and model number of the tablet. If its rootable its a no brainer.

Simpler solution. Go into the settings of the tablet and write down the mac address. Unless you manually change it, it will remain the same. Next, get a yellow sticky, write it down and put it beside the machine you use to access the router - bingo.

Some routers also allow you to limit the bandwith allocated with specific MAC addresses - bandwith control. Although they tend to be commercial routers.

Personally I'd go with option 2. If you want me to get you the script to switch the MAC address, send me a PM and I'll get it for you tomorrow (almost 11pm here)

Option 4: only give it to her at certain times, that's what we do with our kids.

all the best.

edit: There's a PC application called "Advanced IP Scanner", I can't remember where I got it from but Google is your friend here. It shows both DHCP (dynamic) IP addresses as well as hard coded MAC addresses.

#4 Agamemnon, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    maleandroiduser and Mikestony like this.
  5. makaiguy

makaiguy Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Male
    I could look the MAC address up on every android phone I've had. Different manufacturers, different carriers, and different android versions may have tucked this info into different places, but it's always been there.

On my current Verizon Galaxy S7, it's in Settings | About Phone | Status | Wi-Fi MAC Address

svim likes this.
  6. maleandroiduser

None

May 1, 2016
    Male
    Ty, sir. The QOS set-up on my router is more than I care to try right now. I'm just looking for an option to confrontation with her, but I'll deal. I do have an option for setting up a static IP in her Wifi, maybe that'll also keep the Mac address from changing and I can use the Mac filtering again on the router. Thanks again...

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    You could try DD-WRT with your router, if it's capable and supported, or get a DD-WRT compatible router. As that's got fully configurable MAC address blocking, filtering and options.
    https://dd-wrt.com/site/
    Yeh, device MAC addresses don't usually change and are quite static.

8. Agamemnon

Agamemnon Lurker
    None

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Software Developer
    Ireland
    ok, here is the script I used with SManager. (I think)

Note: This should only be used for home network specific identification of this person's daughters tablet as he requested. Spoofing in general is illegal in most states and countries. Thankfully modern routers have build in spoofing detecting, so the old fashioned back door to WPA2-PSK has been firmly closed :)

In any case, your *original* MAC address will always appear in the router log during the initial association with the router.
    The secondary MAC address will only be used once a connection is made with the router.

you will need to be rooted and have busybox installed, and this is mostly from memory, so your mileage may vary. Run the script *before* you hook it into your boot sequence. Check the routers connected MAC addresses to make sure it looks identifiable. Use plenty of zeros so you can spot it easily.

// to make it look like an Epson device
    #!/system/bin/sh
    ip link set wlan0 address A0:E4:53:00:A1:00

// An Apple Device
    #!/system/bin/sh
    ip link set wlan0 address 28:cf:dA:00:A1:00

// Generic - made up
    #!/system/bin/sh
    ip link set wlan0 address 00:80:48:00:A1:00

wlan0 (zero) will only be available using a wifi connection.

I still think restricting access to het tablet to specific "tablet time" is a better solution.

#8 Agamemnon, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  9. Agamemnon

Agamemnon Lurker
    None

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Software Developer
    Ireland
    Why not just allocate her 1 hour a night on the tablet and 3 hours a day on the weekends?

10. maleandroiduser

None

May 1, 2016
    Male
    ok-
    /got her tablet. open settings. MAC address- ::::::::4b
    /using ip scanner 0n my tab -:::::::::4b
    /Advanced IP Scanner on my PC -:::::::::4b

C&P from AIP to Router Mac filter shuts wifi down

Reset wifi on tab, wifi starts up, new Mac Addy= -:::::::::::5e

I tested this on my wife's similar tablet and I believe it reset itself b4 I opened the router page to remove the filter block.

If there is a different Internal MAC Address that I should be using that is static, where do I find that?

11. Agamemnon

Agamemnon Lurker
    None

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Software Developer
    Ireland
    unless you've used the scripts I posted earlier, the MAC address will always remain the same. restarting the router will allocate new IP addresses using DHCP IP address's, unless you've mucked with them they will always be 192.168.xx.xx for a home router. The actual numbers will depend on which ones connect first. Printer IP addresses tend to remain static. keep your DHCP mask as 255.255.255.0

The most simple solution I would suggest is the one I posted earlier that I use with my kids (teenagers) allocate then specific times to use the tabs,

or... unplug the cable from the back of the router so they will have home wifi access but no internet access. wifi routers allow local access to all connected devices, but with no cable to the outside world .... put the cable where they can't get it. If they go out and buy a cable themselves, ground the hell out of their internet access. Just my opinion.

I'd suggest removing all the filters and go for the old school approach, access to the interweb (I love that word) is limited to parental control.

sometimes the simple approach is the best. We can get sometimes too techie with MAC address blocks, IP filtering etc. reset the router to factory settings, and use access to the external cable as both a carrot and a stick :)