• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

need help with my Google Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only had this phone for like 4 days now.. And I got problem's already the problem I'm having is both WiFi and H+ network r both greyed out and I don't know what happen the phone is not rooted and I looked on Google for the problem that didn't help me very much and how to fix it... I tried the airplane mode that didn't work I reset my phone like 3 times that didn't work just lost with out my WiFi because I don't want to use my net work....

Google Nexus 4
Android Software 4.2.2
Carrier Koodo canada

The Network is only Blue when it sends Data, otherwise it will be Grey.
As for your Wi-Fi problem, try this...
If you have weak Wi-Fi it's possible that the 'Avoid Poor Connections' setting is dropping your connection. Turn on your Wi-Fi click on the Wi-Fi icon from the pull down menu, click the 3 dots at the bottom right corner & choose Advanced...you will find this setting there.

Upvote 0
The Network is only Blue when it sends Data, otherwise it will be Grey.
As for your Wi-Fi problem, try this...
If you have weak Wi-Fi it's possible that the 'Avoid Poor Connections' setting is dropping your connection. Turn on your Wi-Fi click on the Wi-Fi icon from the pull down menu, click the 3 dots at the bottom right corner & choose Advanced...you will find this setting there.

I know all about that it connects to WiFi but both my WiFi and my H+ network stays greyed out all all times its been like this all day last night they both was blue this is the first time that they turned grey and stayed like it...
Screenshot_2013-07-03-01-46-33.png.html

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the Androidforums.

Do I understand correctly that you previously had both voice and data connection, and that now the phone is only capable of voice and SMS (texting)?

Apparently something has changed, but the first diagnostic would be to check the APN settings, as indicated in Koodo Mobile - Non-Koodo Phone Data Setup although you can ignore the "Setting up Tethering" section, as the N4 is natively capable of tethering. Also, the MMS settings are on the same APN page you're editing.

Forgive me if you are already totally familiar with your new N4, but hopefully to save you a few minutes of discovery:

Settings->Data Usage .. More->Mobile Networks-> Access Point Names

and either create a new one or edit the one you're using according to the parameters in the link above, taking care to both save the edits (menu dots in upper right corner) and then to select the APN that you want to use.

Let us know please how that works for you. It's good to see your provider welcoming tethering, as that really makes life easier when one and friends are "on the road" with laptops, assuming unlimited data availability.

If you don't have unlimited data service, then it's a good way for them to get your money.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
The Network is only Blue when it sends Data, otherwise it will be Grey. ....

I'm sorry to report that that's not true. When the bars are grey the N4 is capable of voice and SMS communications. When the bars are blue the N4 has an assigned IP address and network connectivity and capabilities, regardless of actively sending or receiving data.

Upvote 0
Grey bars signify it's unable to communicate with Googles servers.

Normally, it signifies there's an issue with the network you're on, but there've been instances where my bars are grey and I can access web pages etc fine, but not gmail etc.

Op, are the bars constantly grey or is it intermittent, does it do it when the phone is sleeping etc?

Upvote 0
Grey bars signify it's unable to communicate with Googles servers.

Normally, it signifies there's an issue with the network you're on, but there've been instances where my bars are grey and I can access web pages etc fine, but not gmail etc.

Op, are the bars constantly grey or is it intermittent, does it do it when the phone is sleeping etc?

There constantly grey its been day 2 now I'm just gonna take the phone back to koodo and see if they well replace my phone or fix it

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones