1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need help with my new HD!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NoebNoeb, Mar 27, 2011.

1. NoebNoeb

NoebNoeb Newbie
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Copenhagen, DK
    First of all, hello to everyone!

I just discarded my old Sony Ericson and got and HTC Desire HD, and i'm already in love with it! Just flicking through the screens kept me well entertained for a whole day :)

The main reason i got an android was the prospect of being able to have a synchronised calendar and mail with facebook and my contact list handy at all times, and it seems to be working to far!

But i have encountered a few problems. They might to general for this forum, but here they go anyway:

1) I seem to have two different Facebook entries for my contacts, one called Facebook profile and one called Facebook profile for HTC-sense. Is there any point to this?

2) When i synchronised the phone with my gmail. it imported all my email adresses as contact persons. Is there a way to prevent this?

3) This might be a really stupid question, but how do i transfer files from my laptop to the phone?

4) I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the extra programs and modifications for android, is there a "guide to android" for dummies somewhere?

That's it for now, but more questions will probably present themselves in the (very) near future!

Advertisement

2. zildj

zildj Well-Known Member
    None

Welcome to the FORUMS! and congrats on your new DHD. I'll try to answer some of these. I am a new user too, (less than a month)

1) I seem to have two different Facebook entries for my contacts, one called Facebook profile and one called Facebook profile for HTC-sense. Is there any point to this?

I mainly use the FB for HTC sense to link my phonebook contacts and fb contacts. (display picture when they call). I dont think you can uninstall either.

2) When i synchronised the phone with my gmail. it imported all my email adresses as contact persons. Is there a way to prevent this?

Go to Settings > Accounts & Sync and you can unsync there or remove account. I dont think you can select which to sync or not.

3) This might be a really stupid question, but how do i transfer files from my laptop to the phone?

Just connect your phone via USB and then on your phone, just select Disk Drive. You'll have a removable disk prompt on your laptop to transfer files.

4) I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the extra programs and modifications for android, is there a "guide to android" for dummies somewhere?

I learned how to use this by being in the forums almost everyday. If i have some questions, i search over here and someone will have an answer :)

3. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    1) No. I disable the HTC Sense Facebook's sync since I prefer using the Facebook app. (I also use Launcher Pro, so I can't actually get access to it.)

2) Under the app People, hit Menu and select View. Then check Only with phone number and then select Google and select the groups you want to show.

3) Use your USB cable or if you have a NAS with ftp, you can just do it wirelessly with EStrongs. Best bet is to just plug it in and do it and then figure out other ways later.

4) Not really. It's best if you have a friend to show you. Or just play around. I read a bunch of threads about apps that worked. Oh, maybe check out any "Show us your homescreens" threads. Those are pretty good. I got started with that in the Desire forum (not the Desire HD). Check there, as the apps are all the same.

Oh, and as a bonus, here's a few apps to get you started that are awesome.

Widgetsoid - power toggles which you can actually add to the pulldown and not have it on the screen.
    Minimalistic Text - totally customizable clock widget (text only, but exactly what I like and want)
    Agenda Widget - play around with it - it's brilliant. I have mine very clean and simple with tasks and calendar showing side by side.
    More Icons - makes small versions of the icons to allow more to fit on one screen - I have 16 app icons in the place of 4. You can probably find a non-pay version, but I like this one alot.
    Folder Organizer - best way to organize your apps and create shortcuts
    Swype - hands down the best keyboard ever (but you have to download it via their site)

Whoops... someone answered. Was too slow in typing.

Tim