• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with my phone's GPS

elchoche23

Jul 27, 2012
I have an HTC EVO 4g that is flashed to Cricket. Everything works really well except the GPS. The phone is not flashed and is running the OEM Rom. I am also running the latest PRL; I copied it from another Cricket phone after doing *228 (Huawei Mercury -- Wife's phone not flashed or anything like that). Issue is that the GPS won't lock; I downloaded the GPS Test app and it will see a couple of satellites and will lock to one or two and then disconnect so Google Maps won't work properly. A few days ago, I took a 50 mile trip and while I was about 30 miles away from where I live, I tried the Gps Test app and it saw and locked on to 8 or 10 satellites at times. Tried the Google Maps and it worked; once I got back to my place, same issue arose -- can't lock to the satellites. I have tried the ##GPSCLRX# but it doesn't seem to do much. Any ideas?

Did this happen all of a sudden or after the flash to Cricket?
I am not sure how you did the prl change with that #228 thing.
And I say that because on my Evo, which was with Sprint and rooted, the only way to change the PRL was with a ##775# code.
You said you were not rooted correct? Is that what you mean when you say "The phone is not flashed and is running the OEM Rom."

Upvote 0
Mikestony,

Thanks for replying; I got the phone and flashed it right away so not sure if this happened after the flash. My wife has a Huawei Mercury and I loaded QPST and used RL Editor to create the prl. With QPST, I then brought the prl into my EVO. The phone is flashed to work on the Cricket network but Android is stock. Thanks again for your help and if there are any other ideas, please let me know.

Upvote 0
About 30 miles from my house, yes the gps seemed to be fine. Right now, I have loaded the GPS Test app on both phones. My wife's phone will see 10 satellites and use all 10. Mine will see up 7 satellites and use four but then it drops to 5 satellites in view and so on. At some point it'll see 6 sat's and lock on 5. It just seems to be very inconsistent so when the phone is on the move, then it seems to suffer with the locking of the sat's

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Tried the app and cleared the data and rebooted the phone to be sure but what I don't understand is that the orientation is right (North, South, and such) except that it has trouble locking. It keeps looking for the gps location. I'm reading the other thread to see if there is anything else I could try. I guess my thinking is that there might be a file similar to the prl but for the gps. Just not sure.

Upvote 0
"Silly", never; in fact, I truly appreciate you taking the time to help. It's the same inside or outside; however, when I'm outside and on the gps test app, it'll see a few more sat's but it will still have trouble locking. I'm puzzled as to why just a few miles away from my house, the gps locks really well so I doubt it's hardware issue.

Upvote 0
"Silly", never; in fact, I truly appreciate you taking the time to help. It's the same inside or outside; however, when I'm outside and on the gps test app, it'll see a few more sat's but it will still have trouble locking. I'm puzzled as to why just a few miles away from my house, the gps locks really well so I doubt it's hardware issue.

I tend to agree that it's not hardware related.
Thinking that your phone, where its at now, just doesn't have a good gps signal for whatever reason.
Just for giggles, I wonder how far away from your home do you need to be for it to work reliably. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones