1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need help with Nova Launcher

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gdiddy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. gdiddy

gdiddy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2013
    So...I'm trying to create folders.

But, when I long press on my screen...All I see is....

Add to Home Screen
    Nova Actions
    Apps
    Shortcuts
    Widgets
    Wallpaper

How can I create a folder????

I use to simply long press the screen and a "create folder" option was there....now....I can see it. (I did reinstall a new nova launcher...so I must be doing something wrong)

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    all you need to do is drag 2 icons over each other... and it will automatically create a folder.

once the folder is created, you can name it

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Yup. After you're dragged them together, long press to edit the name of the folder. The default icon for the folder shows four app icons. You can change the icon of you want but the default is good. You can also reorder apps within the folder. You can assign up-swipe action to a folder (in paid version anyway...I'm not sure if this is available in fee version).

I always put my most frequently access app within the folder first, so it shows up on ulhc of the folder icon. Then I assign the up swipe action to that app. That saves opening the folder to access that app

4. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Thanks Pete... I'd hadn't realised that you could assign a swipe... And that sounds like a good use of the feature

gdiddy likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Lol ive used nova prime for ages and never knew about the folder gesture :D

6. gdiddy

gdiddy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2013
    Ahhhhhhhh..........You guys saved me.
    Thanks.

7. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Funky and Andy -
    Glad it was helpful. The up swipe is available for any icon except widgets. The problem is finding an association that is memorable. So I think of it simply as a favorite or most frequently used. For my chrome icon, up swipe takes me to my favorite page. For phone application, up swipe calls my wife.

For Google now you night link up swipe to related Google voice search or Google settings (even though it's not exactly a favorite) .

If anyone else has ideas of easy-to -remember up swipe actions to assign to a particular app icon, I'd be interested to hear your ideas

RyanB likes this.
  8. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Ive been using swipe gestures on my dock icons for ages. Messaging/gmail, camera/gallery, app drawer/play store etc :thumbup:

electricpete likes this.
  9. gingersnapgirl

gingersnapgirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 15, 2012
    Female
    Oakland, CA
    Being able to swipe up to open a particular app in the folder is handy! Thanks!

10. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    I'm having a very strange problem. After going a while without using folders on my home screen, I've been trying to set up folders again in Nova Prime. The trouble is, whenever I try to drag one icon over to drop it on another, instead of the folder border appearing, the other icon bounces over to the next slot on the home screen and starts doing this sort of jiggle dance. If I withdraw the dragged icon it will move back. It doesn't matter how slow or fast I drag or from what direction, the target icon will jump in the direction of my drag. Then once in a while, it does the right thing, but it is by accident and impossible to reproduce. It is a very rare event. It really makes setting up folder an incredible exercise in frustration. I'll probably email the dev, but thought I'd check with you knowledgeable folks first.

I don't see how it could be due to my ROM. This ROM does use a higher dpi than stock because the N5 is capable of it, so just in case I reset the dpi to stock settings, but no change.

Is there some setting I've forgotten about in Nova Prime?

11. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I have that problem a lot too. The best way ive found is to drag it slowly and from below onto the other app. Ive changed my DPI too in build prop but dont know if that matters

12. Hook

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Finally figured out how to do this. I'm pretty sure in older versions, drag and drop worked pretty well, but the new ability to push icons around by moving the position of one icon has changed that as it works at odds with drag and drop.

However, if you go to Nova Settings -> Drawer, first, make sure "Folders First" is checked because it will make finding your folders easier. Then tap "Drawer Groups." Finally tap the folder tab. Hit the plus to create a new folder. Type in a name and check the "Keep apps in main app tab" box (otherwise, the apps you put in your folder will disappear from the apps drawer). Finally hit "add."

You will now see your new folder listed. Click the pencil icon. Tap the "Select Apps" button. Check the boxes next to the app you want to include in the folder. Click OK. Back out to the app drawer (return to it). You will see your new folder at the top of the app drawer (why you checked "Folders First" ;) ). Now drad the folder to place it on your home screen like you would ay app. You can go back and add more apps to the folder the same way.

A few more steps than drag and drop, but waaaaay more reliable. :thumbup:

funkylogik likes this.
  13. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    When moving an icon onto another to create a folder, aim at the bottom of the target icon. If you aim at the top, it will move the icon around.

14. Hook

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    I've tried. Doesn't matter. It moves the target icon around no matter what direction I approach from or what speed I use. I can occasionally get it to work, but it is voo doo when it does. Much too frustrating and time consuming. I should probably see how it works on Apex, which is a very similar launcher. On GEL it works fine, but GEL just isn;t customizable enough.

15. Hook

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Just a quick note, there is one quirk to this method. The folder you end up with, when you open it, has the three dot menu button,but it doesn't function. The only thing you really lose from this is the ability to sort. You can change the name of the folder. I can live with that.

16. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    If you're rooted, there are Xposed Modules that can add a lot of features to GEL :thumbup:
    Im a Nova fan though and GEL's voice recognition is useless to me (crazy accent) :beer: