1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need help with OTA updates

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dieewigeteufel, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Dieewigeteufel

I'm a complete noob with this. I just got my droid x and rooted it. Now it downloaded an OTA update and I keep hitting install later and it keeps popping up every two hours. How can I block this/get rid of the update it has already downloaded? I think the update was to go from 2.2 to 2.2.3. Ugh. I don't want to lose my root. Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Steven58

Let it install. It's a good update. The use Download z4root 1.3.0 for Android Free - z4root will root your device and enable you to supply system level access to applications that request it. - Softpedia (z4root) to re-root. It's easy. Download it from this site ^ then install it.

Then reboot. After rebooting, select the "permanent root" option. Let it do its thing. It'll take a minute or three and will reboot you into root. :)

PM me if you need further help.

Finally, I have to move this to the root section, but I'll leave a long redirect for ya! :)

Dieewigeteufel likes this.
  3. Flyingfish

Flyingfish Member

Hey Steven Like the avatar

Steven58 likes this.
  4. Steven58

I encourage anyone else to use it, as well, as a sign of protest.

5. Dieewigeteufel

30.04 is the boot loader version.

6. Steven58

7. Dieewigeteufel

Downloading now. Back in a moment.

8. Dieewigeteufel

Ok I think I'm ready to proceed.

9. Steven58

Let us know. :)

10. Dieewigeteufel

Ok after that step, what do I need to do?

11. Steven58

1) Make sure you wipe data and cache first. If you don't, when you boot into 2.2.1, you may get a boot animation loop (bootloop). I did. If you do, that's no problem.
    Just pull the battery. Put it back in. Hold down the HOME button, then put the power button down. When you get a \!/ notice, hit the search button.

You'll get into the recovery mode. Do a data wipe and you'll be set and you'll boot into a fresh 2.2.1

12. Steven58

Follow my z4root instructions after that.

13. Dieewigeteufel

I'm lost. I have the clockwork app. What do I do when I launch that app?

14. Steven58

1) You've rebooted into recovery (clockworkmod recovery)
    2) press the volume down to go to wipe data/factory reset. Select it by hitting the camera button.
    3) Scroll down to yes and hit the camera button again.

4) scroll to "install zip from sd card" and select it.
    5) find your maderstock file on your sd card by navigating with the scrolling button. Select it and leave it alone for 5 or so minutes. It takes a bit to install itself.

15. Dieewigeteufel

Ok, It is now installing. Fingers crossed. I'll check in when It's done.

16. Steven58

OK.. just fyi, that will update your radio, your rom, everything. You'll be totally up to date.

17. Dieewigeteufel

It worked! I'm back on. So now do I need to get anything else OTA or can I just go ahead and jump to the rooting section?

18. Steven58

You are set, now. Your rom is the newest OTA rom. You can keep the zip file in case you want to go back to stock, say, if you have to or want to return your device so that Verizon doesn't know you were rooted.

From here, apply z4Root and you'll be rooted. Let us know if you want help/suggestions putting in different roms and themes and help with overclocking (that's the fun part). :D

19. Dieewigeteufel

Thanks a million. I never would have made it through this alone. I have one more tiny little favor to ask, can you direct me to that list of safe system apps to remove for this build?

20. Steven58

Dieewigeteufel likes this.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews