• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help with rooting and roms- Droid 3

Hello,

I am looking to root my droid 3, and would like some help. I have looked around the site and have a very menial understanding of the concepts and some terminology. I would like some help, even a step by step of what I need to be doing, ( when and how I should, or if I even can, back up files, back up the system, actually root the phone, install a rom, etc.)
I would also like some suggestions as to what rom I should use, or anything like that. I game quite a bit on my phone, anything from stuff on google play to emulators ( I am actually specifically looking to link a sixaxis ps3 controller and to give my phone complete operational capabillities when connected through my HDMI cable, this is a reason I originally wanted to root my phone.), I would like an interface that is fast, user-friendly, sleek and custimizable, and if this is too tall of an order don't be afraid to tell me so.
Any and all help, guides, steps, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CSelH

Hello,

I am looking to root my droid 3, and would like some help. I have looked around the site and have a very menial understanding of the concepts and some terminology. I would like some help, even a step by step of what I need to be doing, ( when and how I should, or if I even can, back up files, back up the system, actually root the phone, install a rom, etc.)
I would also like some suggestions as to what rom I should use, or anything like that. I game quite a bit on my phone, anything from stuff on google play to emulators ( I am actually specifically looking to link a sixaxis ps3 controller and to give my phone complete operational capabillities when connected through my HDMI cable, this is a reason I originally wanted to root my phone.), I would like an interface that is fast, user-friendly, sleek and custimizable, and if this is too tall of an order don't be afraid to tell me so.
Any and all help, guides, steps, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CSelH

Rooting the Droid 3 starts with using Dan Rosenberg's Motofail; there are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux computers. Unfortunately, you do need a computer to root, as far as I know; there is nothing that runs on the phone.

Motofail is here.

The Droid 3 has a locked bootloader, so it's difficult to update the kernel to something new, meaning that installing CyanogenMod based ROMs are less than trivial. Developer Hashcode and others have worked out a way to use kernel extensions to get around this, but it remains in early beta development, and all CM and AOKP based ROMs are still not feature-complete.

In order to install custom ROMs, you need to install an app called a bootstrapper on a rooted phone. There is one that adds Clockwork Recovery, but Hashcode has developed another, called Safestrap, that allows you to save the current state of the stock phone and install ROMs into what he calls a safe system - safe meaning that any changes that you make do not change the stock environment, and you can pretty easily and quickly toggle back to stock, with everything just as you left it - in case there is ever another OTA, for example. There will likely not be an Android upgrade OTA, but there may be a security or feature update to Gingerbread at some point.

Anyway, most of the good ROMs support working in Safestrap, and some even require it at this point. There is a beta version of Safestrap currently in development (currently at version 3.05), but the 2.x version is a bit more stable. The 3.05 version will both allow kernel extension ROMs as well as supporting near instant switching between different custom ROM environments (up to 4).

Anyway, I really recommend using Safestrap if you want to install a custom ROM. You can find out more about it here, including download links: Hash-of-Codes

The instructions for how to use Safestrap at Hashcode's blog at the moment are for the 3.x version. The 2.x version is based on ClockworkMod Recovery. Follow the installation instructions on Hashcode's blog (i.e., turn on allowing third-party app install; install the Safestrap app; run it and tap the button to install Recovery; shut off the phone. You will now see a menu that pops up for 10 seconds before proceeding to boot - press the Menu button to enter Safestrap Recovery.)

Basically, the instructions after installing safestrap are:

- copy a custom ROM zip to internal storage or an external SD card
- restart the phone and start Safestrap by hitting menu
- go to the safe menu and toggle the safe system - do NOT quick toggle
- go back to the main menu
- wipe data/factory reset
- install a zip file from SD
- choose internal or external SD card
- choose the zip file that you copied over before
- when down, go back to the main menu and reboot the phone.

As for custom ROMs, if you want full feature compatibility - camera and video camera works; keyboard works; all sensors work - you are best off sticking with Gingerbread, stock based ROMs for the moment. I believe that you are best off with Maverick 4.5 or Steel Droid 4.8.

By the way, ignore the install instruction on Steel Droid for flashing an SBF. It's unnecessary and will end up bricking a Droid 3 with 5.7.906 anyway.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer any of your questions on gaming.

Good luck!

Reactions: CSelH
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The Safestrap downloads are here: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing solana

Again, I would stick with 2.10. If that link still does not work for you, let me know and I will PM you a Dropbox link.

To figure out if you are rooted, look in your app drawer for an app called Superuser. Try tapping it and swiping right - it should tell you in the info screen if there is an su binary. If both of those things are there, you are rooted.

Upvote 0
ss3 has been working great for me

The only issue that I have seen reported with Safestrap 3.05 is an inability to start Safestrap on device boot. The app is still in beta, and I would suggest that the only people who should use this version at the moment are the ones who want to try the ROMs that require it - Hashcode's CM and AOKP current versions. All of these are feature incomplete at the moment.

Also, I know that Maverick runs on SS 3.05, but I believe that there are other ROMs that do not.

It's not terribly difficult to go back to SS 2.1 if you want to try 3.05, but everybody should be aware of potential issues before going forward.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones