1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need help with rooting NC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zodin, Aug 9, 2011.

1. zodin

zodin Member
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I really need help. My question/problem is so basic it is either not covered, or is covered and I just don't know it, in another thread. I have been trying to root my nook color and have downloaded clockwork 3.0.2.8img.gz, GZ file, 19,034kb onto a 16GB sd sandisk card. I cannot understand what I should do next. From my very limited understanding I have to download something else or decompress this file,and rename some of the components or do I just remove the disk and load it onto my nook as is? I am admittedly very intimidated by this whole process. My husband suggested using this forum. Please help.

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Your husband is a very wise individual, but you don't have to tell him I said that if it will make him hard to live with. :)

The first, and most obvious, thing I see is that you've download an older Clockwork, you'll want to use the newest one.
    I suggest going to this link http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...ok-color-rooting-rom-guide-read-me-first.html and reading some of Colchiro's wonderful how-to's.
    You didn't mention which version of the Nook you've got, 1.1 or 1.2 - that makes a difference in how it's rooted. Under the 'Rooting' section read the appropriate thread. And, if you want CM7 on your NC, then the 'How to install CM7' thread is another good one. In short, this is LOTS of good information to be found there.
    Rooting the NC is fairly easy, but *I* spent a few hours reading various threads before I finally did it. I wanted to make sure I had a fairly good understanding before I started the process.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    +1

Install WinRar (or WinZip) and you'll be able to extract the image from that GZ file.

4. zodin

zodin Member
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Thank you, to be honest I really didn't expect anyone to respond. To be fair, my husband did suggest that I do more research before I started. He can complicate making toast so I thought I would go ahead and try. Will I be able to delete the Clockwork from my sd card or will I need to buy a new one? I have the 1.2 version of the Nook. Thank you again. Off to the thread you suggested.

gsutton likes this.
  5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I would recommend keeping a BOOTABLE Clockwork card around for as long as you're flashing new/different ROMs on your Nook (which means, for as long as you have your Nook :) ). If things go really haywire someday (possible, but not likely) you'll be able to boot the NC and recover from the problem with the bootable card. So yeah, go buy a new card so you can have an 'oops' card and a working card. The bootable card can be a fairly small (I use 4gb), no need to splurge for another 16gb card.
    On my 'oops' card I keep a ROM that I know I like so that I can flash it if I want to, GAPPS and also a known good backup of my NC so that I can restore to that and have a full working and set up the way I like it ROM. This of course is personal preference, but it makes it really quick and easy to get back up and running.

Out of idle curiosity, how'd you hear about rooting the NC?

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    What size is the sdcard you already have? We like to suggest keeping a small one (1-2 gb), make it bootable and use it for updating or an emergency.

You'll want at least an 8 gb sdcard after rooting for backups and installing apps. My wife's Nook has an 8 gb, I have a 16.

7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Pssst... she said she has a 16gb card :)

8. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    :eek:

Geez, all those word to read...

9. zodin

zodin Member
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    OK, sorry to be redundant, but can I erase my 16GB card that currently has Clockwork on it? I have a 2GB sd that I can use as back up.(Once I figure out what that means). I have read the auto nooter and my husband is now watching the "how to root nook color 1.2. To answer your question, "How did I hear about rooting the NC?" I wanted a tablet and I love to read so when I heard a story on NPR about rooting the NC, I said "Bingo". Now I sit here with a knot in my stomach, but learning a tremendous amount. I really appreciate you taking time out to help me with this. I half expected someone to tell me to put it down, walk away and leave it to the professionals.

10. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Sorry, easily distracted here. (Is it Friday?)

No reason to keep it if you have another one you can use.

Plug it in your computer, open "My Computer", find your sd card there and right-click on it and format using defaults. If it's a lot less than 16 gb, you'll have to do another step or two. :D

If it's only 2 gb or something much smaller than 16 gb, right-click on "my computer" and choose "manage". Find "disk manager" on the left and find your sdcard in there. Right-click on the sdcard and choose "delete volume" (or "delete partition"). Now hopefully you have 16 gb of empty space. If so, then just right-click again on the sdcard and create a new simple volume, then format it as fat32 (not NTFS!).

11. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Friday, did someone say Friday?!? :D

Zodin, no need to leave this to the pros, there is a good bit to learn if you've never rooted another device before, but it's not HARD. Take you time, go slow, follow every step (when I rooted mine the first time I actually printed out the step by step instructions then crossed them off as I went, to make sure that I didn't skip a step). Before you really start, just make sure you have a bootable CWM card and that it works. To test to make sure that it works, turn off the NC, put in the bootable card, turn on the NC. When it boots it should look totally different than what you've seen before. THIS is your safety net.
    BTW, assuming you started with the link I mentioned above, you're following the steps found here; [NC][1.2 ONLY] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers
    Colchiro and I are recommending you keep a bootable SD card around, that means don't do step 12, because of the reason stated in 13. Step 12 makes your card no longer bootable, and takes it back to being your daily 'working' card on the NC. You've got a different card for that - so skip 12.

12. zodin

zodin Member
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Thank you, that was awesome and for the most part in language I understand. I now have a sd card with 14.8gb of space. By the way, should I address you as Mr. C and Mr. M? Being from the south it always seems important to get these things straight. How do I get the latest version of CWM? Is there a specific place that's best to go? I selected the link on [NC][1.2 ONLY] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers, but did not see where I actually downloaded it once I got there. I have about a million questions I would love to ask after this is done, mostly so I can understand the process and not just get the results. But thanks so much for walking me through it right now.

13. Araliss

Araliss Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    My husband said the same thing about reading the boards. I've been using CM7 on a SD card because I've been trying to wait for an auto nooter but I'm getting tired of waiting and thinking of doing it manually. I just want root but I don't want to lose B&N's setup. Root lets me install what I want...--cough-- (kindle)..

However, the steps seem overwhelmingly long..

14. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    lol, being a southern boy myself, I understand the 'Mr' thing - thought it's not necessary here. For ease of typing you can refer to me as either MH or Hoto, whichever you prefer. Colchiro we just call 'him'. :) (he's our resident genius though, so we try to mostly be nice to him...)

For CWM, follow Colchiro's fine guide found here
    http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...workmod-version-3-2-0-1-recovery-sd-card.html

In the Manual Nooter thread on XDA, look for the bold heading in the first post that says "Let's get started". #1 under that has a link to download manual nooter (it's the brown text).

Really, gathering all the 'stuff' you need to root is actually harder and more time consuming that the actual root process.

To Araliss, that's the same thing I thought when I first rooted the NC - "149.6 steps to root, are you kidding?!?". But they are each little steps and easy to follow. :)

15. Araliss

None

Sep 1, 2010
    Mmm. I'll take you're word for it, but you're probably right. It's the gathering list that freaked me out. Theres so much crap to gather.. :p

-sighs- But booting to get to my kindle app or back to B&N is becoming a headache. I just want a simple root.. no Sugar plumb, Ice cream cone or whatever name Google comes up with next.. :p

I'm going to suck it up and try it.. -says nervously.-

16. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Sugarplum :)

I bet I spent 2 or 3 hours (spread out over an entire day) gathering up all the 'stuff' I needed and setting it up. All the while going through the list and saying 'yep, got that'. Then after I thought I had everything I needed, I checked it off the list yet again.
    Then of course the sweat broke out on my forehead when I pressed the 'boot me' button (if ONLY there was a 'boot me' button). And I already rooted two different phones before that, so I knew the basics of the process.
    If I'd known then just how hard it is to brick the Nook, and how easy it is to recover from an 'oops' I would have sweated a lot less. But that's one of those things you can't REALLY know until you done it.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Aldiko reader. The Kindle app (naturally) really wants me to buy from Borders, like the Nook app wants me to buy from B&N. I prefer a store agnostic reader. :)

17. Araliss

None

Sep 1, 2010
    Oh Goodness! 2 or 3 hours just gathering? I was hoping to be done rooting and sipping cocktails long before that. :p

I like Aldiko reader also, I use it for my All Romance purchases.. Kindle for my kindle purchases, and Cool reader for stuff I get from other means..

Ironically, I haven't bought a single book from B&N, but I have a few free ones that I've yet to read. I have an iPad also, won't be buying from iBookstore EVER.. :rolleyes:

I have a kindle 3.. had a kindle 1 which got me started on ebooks.. but then like most.. its hard to read magazines not in color. I'm still anxious to see Amazon's tablet and if it will be enough to wrestle Nook Color from me..

So back on topic.. How long after you've spent half the day gathering does it take to actually root?

18. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Maybe I'm just a slow gatherer. :)
    To ACTUALLY root takes, umm... 15, maybe 20 minutes? It's a quick process.

Cool reader is, well, cool. If I hadn't been an Aldiko user for so long I might use that. In my opinion it is as good as Aldiko, but not better - therefore no compelling reason for me to change.

19. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Actually, I'm lazy and a slow learner so much easier to type it once and after that, just tell people to check the sticky. :D

Northern boy here (ND) so C is probably easier than Mr. (anything), but I answer to just about anything.

20. zodin

zodin Member
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I have downloaded cwm it only gives me the option to open not open with winrar is it against the rules to call me and walk me through this, I feel so defeated! I really want to do this just everything seems so difficult. I have downloaded everything and tried to extract what Im supposed to . I am just not understanding the verbage. My husband says this is probably not allowed but I dont care, it cant hurt to ask. Help me PLEASE

21. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Called. :D

gsutton likes this.
  22. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    You're a good man!

23. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Zoden, did you get anywhere? (we ran out of time last night :D)

24. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    We rooted her Nook, then she decided to straight to CM7, nightly #150. :D

gsutton likes this.
  25. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl