• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with signal problem in my unlocked Droid Mini

Hi,
I recently bought a Motorola Droid Mini from E-bay. It is unlocked, and I have a Simple Mobile sim and plan. The problem is the sial keeps going up and down and even when it is in 3 bars I can't text nor call. The thing says" Simple Mobile 4G". The 4G works fine, but I just can't seem to call or text people. Sometimes I can, but then it just disconnects. I don't know if the problem is the phone, the sim, or the carrier. Anyone have any option?

Not without having the phone, a known-good SIM and a dealer willing to switch SIMS in the database.

BTW, voice and text are both 2G, which has nothing to do with 4G. You could be in an area with good 4G signal and poor 2G signal, or your phone could have a 2G problem. (It's unlikely tht the SIM would be intermittent, and only slightly more likely that the radio would be, so I'd tend to lean toward your being in a bad 2G area.)

Upvote 0
Okay.........It kind of works now but I had to sacrifice the super fast 4G. I had three options on the Network type thing and I had to pick between "GSM ONLY", UMTS ONLY", ALTERNATE DEFAULT. So I'm assuming there is no dual thing cause the entire time my 2G didn't work it was on the alt. default mode. New Question: Is it better to use UMTS or GSM? Which is better for my battery life?:)

Upvote 0
I have read before that the latest radios on the Droids have an issue on T-Mobile networks when you use LTE, so staying off LTE may be your best bet until there is an OTA update released, to see if the radio is changed.

I'm not sure about the answer to your question on GSM vs UMTS. But, surely it wouldn't take long to try it both ways and see which works better?

See this thread on xda-developers.com: 4.4 and Non-VZW carriers - xda-developers

Simple Mobile appears to be a T-Mobile MVNO, so I think that advice applies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones