1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need help with some terms...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ebritt, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ebritt

ebritt Newbie

Ok as far as builds go I see 2 terms....AOSP and CM what do those mean?

Also what is ext4??

While Im at it what are some of the benefits of ICS over GB??? Do I need ICS??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ebritt

ebritt Newbie

3. dots

dots Android Expert

AOSP = Android Open Source Project. Basically the source code for android. When people say AOSP based roms they mean roms based on vanilla android source, no sense, touchwiz or anything like that.

CM = Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod uess AOSP as a code base. But supports many many phones, adds extras features that aren't in regular AOSP code. Reverse engineer drivers and other stuff.

ext4 is a linux file system. I'll let wikipedia explain it more ext4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well as far as benifits go. I would say there are tons going form GB to ICS. ICS is pretty much an entire re write of android. It is pretty different from vanilla GB. In fact since using ICS i can't go back to GB based roms :D.

Do you need it? Well thats an entirely opinionated question and something you have to determine for yourself.

4. ebritt

ebritt Newbie

I really like Sense 3.0, I want an ICS version with that on it. Probably best to wait for HTC ICS update to be modded. So far most of the non-Sense roms look pretty blaaah to me. I like the lock screen, big clock widget and weather...(yes I actually use the weather app in the clock widget) and the general layout and feel of Sense 3.0. In other words...I like the sparkly , flashy stuff.
    So I guess Ill wait patiently.

5. ebritt

ebritt Newbie