• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help with wifi tether app!

xtshadowxt

Lurker
Jul 27, 2010
Hello android forums.

I just rooted my recently acquired Evo for one really intersting app, the wifi tether app for root users.

im pretty sure i rooted my phone correctly and i am on 2.2.

The problem i am getting is that my computer picks up the wireless connection but it still says i have no internet connection and it doesn't work.

Any ideas on how i can fix this problem?

Two potential answers for you. Once I was rooted I ran into the same problem with the Wi-fi tether on the Market. Head over XDA and try to find one that is Pre-8; they're easy to find once you look around. Once I downloaded and installed the Wi-fi tether from XDA it worked like a breeze. Also make sure if your computer has a firewall and that the firewall is not blocking your access out to the tether.

Reactions: xtshadowxt
Upvote 0
I also just rooted. I flashed fresh rom and king kernal #8 for the fps unlock(getting 54fps avg).

I had the same issue with fresh's wireless teather...My win7 pc would pick up and connect but no "connection to internet"

Resolution: I run static IPs so I can open ports on my router for say my xbox or my PC for torrents... It could not assign the IP for the VLAN the EVO wireless tether wanted. Went into properties for wireless adapter and set to DHCP and boom picked it up... Only at G though... I thought it would have been N but i guess not...kinda sucks

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyone that responded, For some reason like 2 hours later the connection magically worked and i'm using it right now. The next step for me to learn to install another rom than just the stock sense one i'm running. im just lost an how to do a nandroid backup and so on. Also what are kernals for... so much to learn but im glad im rooted.

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyone that responded, For some reason like 2 hours later the connection magically worked and i'm using it right now. The next step for me to learn to install another rom than just the stock sense one i'm running. im just lost an how to do a nandroid backup and so on. Also what are kernals for... so much to learn but im glad im rooted.
You flash ROMs and create nandroid backups from the recovery menu, the green text on the black screen that you see when you power up while holding volume down (or install a free app called Quick Boot from the market and tap recovery).

Make a backup before you flash a ROM. From the main recovery screen, scroll down to nandroid, select it with the power button, then select backup. be patient, it takes a few minutes. When it says complete, go back out to the main menu.

Instructions for flashing ROMs can be a little more involved, often requiring a full wipe (another option in the recovery main menu), and are usually supplied by the dev on his ROM page.

Upvote 0
Hello android forums.

I just rooted my recently acquired Evo for one really intersting app, the wifi tether app for root users.

im pretty sure i rooted my phone correctly and i am on 2.2.

The problem i am getting is that my computer picks up the wireless connection but it still says i have no internet connection and it doesn't work.

Any ideas on how i can fix this problem?

If you got your wifi tether app from the market, it may not be compatible. After my wife rooted my stock 2.2, she download and installed the latest wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre8.apk and it works flawlessly. Uninstall the old wifi app, download and install this newer version.

wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre8.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre8 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones