• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help need help

lenny656

Lurker
Aug 15, 2011
I have an LG-P500h, android 2.2.1 -V10s
I recently rooted it, using gingerbreak, which worked fine. I then installed Root explorer, so i could uninstall all the crap programs i never use.
Know here is where i made a mistake, I unknowingly deleted a file that was important, I cant even remember the exact name of it, i think it was download.apk and download.opek? I was trying to remove a useless app called download, that lets you download ringtones n wallpapers n whatnot, that i never use, but what i deleted was not that program. I think i deleted the file that lets you download any kinda file. So now when i try download anything from market place, or the web browser, i get an error: The application Market(process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. I'm an idiot, i did not back up my phone, I'm kicking myself now for not doing it.
Any help would much be appreciated.

I've tried factory resetting, but it didn't replace the files I deleted. How would I flash my LG? I'm pretty new to smartphones, didn't see a sticky on flashing.

Try to reinstall the market app by downloading the market apk through your PC if you can.

Since you are new to smartphones and flashing, I dont really recommend you try to flash your phone though it will certainly fix the problem. Try to undo the root, you can do so whether you rooted through gingerbreak or z4root. Then take your phone to an LG service centre. Hopefully, the wont notice that your phone was rooted. In that case, they will fix the problem by most probably flashing the latest official firmware. So be sure to backup all your contacts and any apps and their data, because all your contacts, apps, settings and data are lost while flashing.

When I rooted my phone, I too started uninstalling many preinstalled apps, and I uninstalled an app called LG Home, which was actually the home screen/ launcher. So my phone froze, and I had to do a hard reset. On rebooting my phone, it got stuck at the Android screen. I was scared to death, because my phone wasn't even 1 month old, and I was too scared to flash because I had never tried it before and I didn't want to risk bricking my phone. So I took my phone to the LG service centre. I was actually worried because my phone was still rooted, but thankfully, they didn't notice it and they fixed my phone :D

But if they find you rooted your phone and say they cant help you, then the only thing left to do is flash your phone. I dont know if the process if different for the P500 and the P500h, but I can guide you to a simple tutorial on this site for the P500

http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-all-things-root/385779-easiest-way-root-your-android-gingerbread.html

To select a ROM that best suits you, take a look at this link
http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-all-things-root/395692-how-custom-recoverys-roms-kernels.html

Do a google search and you'll find many simple tutorials specifically for your phone.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I tried looking google for download.apk it was the 1st I tried after i deleted it. I cant find that file, it mostly just links me to 3rd party file managers that dont work. I think I can figure out how to just flash it, theres a lot of guides for that. I can download all the app's i need on my computer, but after i did that factory reset, i deleted all my apps i had. So now i dont have a file manager to open and install apps, and no way of downloading one threw market. How do i install a file from my LG without any kind of file manager?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones