1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need idiot proof, hand holding to root Revolution

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JustPlainKate, Jul 30, 2011.

1. JustPlainKate

JustPlainKate Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    stay-at-home mom
    St. Louis
    Hi all! I hate to perpetuate the "girls can't do techie things" stereotype, but I am afraid that the only way to get help with this is to play my damsel in distress card.

Until today, I had no idea what "rooting" was, and just learned what a "brick" is, which I am deathly afraid of doing to my new phone. But I just got the LG Revolution yesterday and was appalled by all the bloatware (another new word for me, yay) pre-installed. After trying to get rid of Bing and that other crap the normal way via application manager, and upon finding it doesn't work that way on this phone, I need help with the root process.

I am not stupid, just ignorant of certain terms and software used in this process. I am hoping that you more experienced people can help me do this, assuming I know nothing. Explain it to me like you're explaining it to your mom, and I should be fine.

I did do some searching on this forum before asking this question. I found THIS but it wasn't quite idiot proof enough for me. See that? I embedded a hyperlink. But having no idea what ADB stands for, I was at a loss almost immediately.

Any help would be so appreciated. Just be gentle.

Advertisement

2. 1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Tech @ Community College
    Spokane, WA
    Rooting the Revolution isn't tough, but it can be tricky and is frowned on by the vendors for warranty and liability reasons.

I have to ask, why do you want to root it? If it's just to remove apps that you don't use or want, you might want to reconsider. You don't have to use any of the native apps and most don't run at boot-up so they're not that intrusive. Though the one's that do start up can't be altogether shut down, you can make them benign enough that they're not intrusive. I don't recommend you delete or uninstall them as some are quite intertwined with the OS and you can have unexpected results. Once the phone is rooted, you can install an app that will "freeze" apps you don't want to run while still leaving them installed, which is a safe thing to do.

I installed a home screen replacement app (or alternative launcher) and don't use the native widgets. (The one I have is "GO Launcher EX, though Launcher Pro is also widely used.) I installed the Google apps to use instead of Bing and have made the phone work to my satisfaction. I may ultimately root the phone to enable use of an alternative ROM, but I wanted to wait until the Gingerbread update was released by the vendor (no date set that I've heard) and not jeopardize the warranty or take any significant risks until I was sure development had reached a level that I was comfortable with. Your method may vary, but I'm enjoying my Revo the way it is and will wait a little longer. - MarkC

3. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Newport, RI
    here you go. Hopefully it helps.

Download the superone click [S1C] app (google search to find), extract it to a folder and leave it alone.

Connect your phone to your comptuer with charging only mode enabled with the USB cable that came with your phone. I have used others, but many recommed to used the factory cable.

Once your phone and comptuers have connected, switche your usb connection to internet connection and wait until all of the drivers have been installed.

Once you have your phone connected, start up the S1C app (rev 2.0 beta at time of writing) hit the root button, the program should say on the right side "waiting for device".

On your phone go to Settings>Applications>Development> then click the block next to the USB debugging to enable USB debbuging. There will be a pop-up, select ok and then S1C should continue.

Now, take a break, walk away, don't touch your pc or your phone. Go to starbucks, ( yeah right, i'll never leave the house without my phone, i watch a show instead) It should only take a few minutes.

Reboot your phone, go to the marketplace and search for, download, and install superuser. If the app runs fine, your rooted.

More info here

Gladiator2002 likes this.
  4. airdurdaller

airdurdaller Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    can you root the revolution if you have a mac operating system, if so what program to use?