• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need information on unrooting or not.

biretsu89

Lurker
Aug 26, 2010
This is my first time here.. so feel free to bash if I didnt need to post this up.. I did try to find some one with the same issue... but nada

I was interested in overclocking my droid eris... so i decided to look up how to do it and i found this site : How To: Root the HTC Droid Eris (and Get Android 2.1)(Updated ? 06.11.2010) | TheUnlockr ... And i did exactly what it said and "rooted" my phone... but then i found this current forum site... and I read a couple things about having a hboot something of 1.49 and that it was not possible to root : / ... I know my phone already had 2.1 update originally from verizon...

Now all I noticed that the "rooting" thingy did was just wipe the phone's memory like my scenes and apps and what not ( Dont really care... I will just redo everything from scratch) My question is... After learning that rooting my phone is useless.... do I need to Unroot my phone at all? Will the update that I loaded mess anything up on my phone in the future? ... Everything seems to be the same... Any help would be apreciated:D

Sweeet.... that sadly made my day... well not sadly. Haha. I did reboot the phone.. but I don't think that did anything. Thanks guys.. now to learn to overclock. Now i feel bad making this damn entire thread. Ha.. wait.. can I just download set CPU now or do I have to acquire something else? I will look it up.

Upvote 0
define 'useless' in this context? :)
You've rooted, you can now overclock using SetCPU from the market.
It seems to me you've achieved what you set out to do. Am I missing something?

I noticed that the Eris is not on the listing of phones when running setcpu for the first time. Since the Eris and Hero are pretty much the same phone, do most folks chose the Hero profile?

Upvote 0
Sweeet.... that sadly made my day... well not sadly. Haha. I did reboot the phone.. but I don't think that did anything. Thanks guys.. now to learn to overclock. Now i feel bad making this damn entire thread. Ha.. wait.. can I just download set CPU now or do I have to acquire something else? I will look it up.

biretsu89,

You didn't say what custom ROM you originally flashed...if it was something like Ivan's Eris Official 1.0, then you might already have overclocking enabled and the setCPU app on your ROM (although you would have seen setCPU in your app drawer by now...).

Anyway, refthemc's suggestions of PlainJaneT2's ROM is an excellent choice. It has the new patched overclock kernel that will allow you to overclock (to a hopefully safe and reasonable speed)--needing only for you to download setCPU and begin configuring. There are also lots of other good ROMs out there too that many folks espouse, but PJT2 is a good one to start with.

Remember to:

1. Always make a Nandroid backup (via custom recovery) before making any major/scary changes to your phone (such as flashing a new ROM, deleting system apps, etc.)

2. Before flashing a new custom ROM, do the requisite wipes in custom recovery ("Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and "Wipe Dalvik cache")--unless the developer indicates that you don't have to (check the dev's ROM thread for instructions).

3. When overclocking, start out at 710MHz and proceed carefully from there. Be sure to not enable "set on boot" until you are certain the the phone is stable at that speed.

Since you rooted "the old fashioned way", you must have a certain aptitude and willingness to read and research, so, read and search through some of the threads in the Eris - All Things Root - Android Forums subforum and let us know if you have any other questions.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Wow.. you guys are kick ass. Thanks for the help. Flash... rom....? I have no damn clue x_X... all i did so far was put that pb zip in the root of my sd card to root the phone(updating the phone as well)... i will look up more... a little confusing.. but all this information and tips are awesome... thanks again and thanks scary alien. Ha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones