• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need New Battery

Unfortunately battery replacements tend to be a crap shoot lately. I just put a new aftermarket battery in my wife's S7 and it seems to be working well (at least so far, but it's only been two days). I decided based on reviews, but even so, it's almost impossible to tell. I do tend to stay away from eBay because I've had similar experiences with stuff like this.

All I can say is good luck, and i hope you pick a winner. :)

Upvote 0
Where is a good place to get a reputable battery?
I ordered one on Ebay but its worse than my 4 year old one that came with the phone.

Thinking of trying this for a replacement: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-SUNZ...sr=1-1-spons&keywords=galaxy+s5+battery&psc=1

I would give that battery a miss as it is quoting a 3200 mAh capacity and the Galaxy S5 battery is 2800 mAh... see,
Samsung Galaxy S5 spec's.

I would recommend either a genuine Samsung Galaxy S5 battery with NFC, (Near Field Communication)...
Official Samsung Galaxy S5 Standard Battery with NFC

or an Anker battery without NFC... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-2800mAh-Battery-Samsung-T-Mobile-Blau/dp/B01M4I99DH

I have seen too many exploding and burning phones from using knockoff, cheap, fake batteries... beware!

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I would avoid batteries that are supposed to be OEM Samsung S5 replacements. Given the age of the phone and the fact that it and its accessories are long out of production, any genuine batteries will be old stock that has been sitting around for a long time. As such they are likely to have less than their original capacity especially if they have been on a shelf in a discharged state.
It's also very likely that many of the batteries being sold as "OEM" are actually fakes even if they come from known sellers on Amazon or Ebay.
I would second the recommendation of the Anker battery linked to by ironass above, I currently have one of those in my S5 and it is doing very well after almost a year. Still at full capacity and no swelling. The only caveat with this battery is it doesn't have NFC (I don't care but you might) and for unknown reasons it is no longer available in the US so if you're here you can't get one.
If the Anker isn't an option there are other third-party batteries available, but you need to do some research to make sure the product and manufacturer are reputable and have good reviews. Some of these will also not have NFC, but if that's not a deal-breaker just make sure they are rated for the same capacity as the original (2800mah) and are new/recently manufactured.

Upvote 0
I'm sure everyone has a battery horror story. The fact is that we need batteries for most of our daily electronics needs and no product is ever going to be 100%. Pick a brand name with good support and some decent reviews. Odds are you'll get a decent product. Statistics states there will be some who are overjoyed and those who are disappointed. It's that second group that tends to be the most vocal.

Upvote 0
Entire number of Galaxy S5 phones produced at 2014~2015 all have symptoms today of much lower battery life.
Currently (June 2018) they are available three groups of battery products.

1) Real Samsung battery (with NFC) stamped with 2017 manufacturing date.
2) Battery for Samsung S5 Chinese phone (no date stamp).
3) Third party generic batteries (what ever brand)

My vote goes to the first choice and when it comes shopping thru internet, never trust product pictures.

Always contact the seller and ask if specific Samsung battery comes with manufacturing date and what this is.

Beware that older genuine Samsung battery stock this is sold now in discount of few dollars in comparison to fresher batteries.
Such discount does not worth anything because you accepting to buy a battery with lesser life cycle.

If you do not receive confirmation from the seller about manufacturing date, then skip this source and search for a new.

Upvote 0
On eBay I have always used the sellers feedback rating as a good guide to their reliability, and I don't mean if they have 20 feedback or so, I mean if a seller has over 2,000 transactions and has a feedback rating of 99.5% I generally trust that seller. Up to now (8 years and 1,011 purchases) I have only been let down once and soon got my money back. Phil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones