1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need new Note

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Jason, Apr 20, 2021.

1. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast

My Note 3 still works, but I recently cracked the screen and it's time to move on. I want:

A stylus (S-pen like the Note 3)
    5G capability
    A camera with good zoom (for pix of distant real estate features)
    Can be rooted (preferably bought already rooted)
    Can be used as a hot spot for wifi in case my internet fiber connection goes down
    Unlocked, to use on MetroPCS in the US, and optionally other carriers​

I'm posting this in the Note 20 forum, but maybe I should be looking at the Note 20 Ultra. Or maybe a different brand, as long as it has a stylus and the other features above that I need. I've had good luck with my Note 3, but I'm not sure of reviews for other brands.

I plan to pay cash, and have no problems even buying used/eBay, etc.

Amount of RAM, storage, CPU are of little concern to me, as any current phone has more than enough for my needs. I don't do videos texting, or social media - I just make phone calls and send an occasional e-mail.

I'm also not a guy who needs to have the latest and greatest to show off to friends. I'd buy a Note 3 or 4 if I could get it with 5G. Unfortunately it's hard to shop because it doesn't seem to occur to vendors to list all the features of their phones in their ads. I could use some advice, including good places to buy from.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #13 by John Jason, Apr 22, 2021 (3 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

My Note 3 is the only screen I haven't cracked.

S21 Ultra 5G has the same heft but it's heavier. Not a bad trade off.

4. John Jason

Thank! I didn't realize the S21 Ultra had an S Pen. Now If I can just find details about it.

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

it does not have an s-pen, but it will work with one.

i have the note 10+ 5G and i love still love it. i am holding out to see if there will be a new Note coming out this year.....or....i am also wanting to see what the new fold 3 will look like as well.

6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

The case with the pen costs $90 USD.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

yeah. I'm waiting for the new note to come myself although my Note 9 is still working fine.

ocnbrze and dontpanicbobby like this.
  8. John Jason

I didn't realize that the Note 10 can be had in 5G. My current carrier is MetroPCS, but it's not listed on their site. And Samsung's web site does not give any details about it - nada. It's so frustrating trying to find information. I wish I could find a site that listed all the phones that interest me, with a complete spreadsheet-like comparison of every detail and feature. I could make my own, but I can't even find the information to put in the blanks.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. ocnbrze

This is why I like going to my carrier's store and look to see what they have to offer..... Or you can ask of this phone will work with them. It's why I always go to Best Buy because they offer pretty much all the carriers and sometimes they have special deals that only they will offer.

So maybe go and check out Best Buy or your local MetroPCs store.

10. John Jason

Yeah. I called the local MetroPCS store, but they knew nothing and their website was even worse. Tomorrow I'll go to Best Buy and see what I can figure out.

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. ocnbrze

keep us posted on what you end up getting. my vote goes for the note 10+ 5G if you can get it for Metro.

12. John Jason

The trip to Best Buy was hopeless. I did get helped by a fairly knowledgeable salesperson, but the store had only the Note 20 and S21 regular, to show me, not the Ultra versions. And they had no Note 10s at all. o_O

ocnbrze likes this.
  13. ocnbrze

Could they at least tell you if the note 10+ 5G will work with Metro or not?

14. John Jason

No, they said they no longer sell it so they had no information about it. In fact, I think it's still on their web site, so it was just that the sales dude I was talking to didn't know. The Best Buy that I went to had huge holes all over their shelves, like no one had been restocking things. On a more positive note, if you look on eBay for Note 10+ you find a lot listed as being for T-Mobile, which is what MetroPCS uses.

I just bought a brand new factory unlocked Note 10+ on eBay for $260 with free shipping. At that price I can re-sell it for a profit if I don't like it.

Well, that didn't go well. In eBay I clicked on the Buy Now button, then paid by PayPal. All looked normal. A few hours later I got an e-mail from the seller asking for my PayPal address so he could send me an invoice. I looked at the listing and it said 'payment is being processed.' WTH? I logged into PayPal and apparently the money was never sent to the seller. And this morning I clicked on the seller's username and got a page that says he is located in Spain, joined 4/26, is no longer registered with eBay, has four negative feedbacks, and a note 'don't send him money, it's a scam.'

Oh well. At least I didn't get ripped off. What's the old line about scams - if it's too good t be true it probably isn't true.

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 release date was Rumored to be August 2020. Features and Specs include a 12GB RAM, and Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865+ processor.

Rumored to be August 2020
Release Date
Reviews