• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Newest RUU NOW!!

I think I am starting to see what you're saying. So even IF we could run the Sprint RUU, that's going to put Sprint firmware on there, and the HBOOT will still be at 1.58. That would then probably affect how the OTAs were applied. Again, I said "if" above...
You wouldn't want to flash the Sprint RUU to a VM phone since there are firmware pieces that are definitely different between the two versions. Some Evo 3D users flashed all the VM firmware when it was "leaked" last May and had traces of the VM configuration that were extremely difficult to undo. And the Sprint RUU wouldn't flash on an EVO V unless you changed the CID in the firmware zip file and then it wouldn't be signed by HTC anymore so S-ON users couldn't flash it.

Doesn't seem like any workaround is feasible. But I wonder...S-ON prevents unsigned stuff from being applied. Isn't the RUU signed?
It is, but that's not the only check that's being performed. It also verifies the CID, main version (mainver) and hboot version and won't flash for S-ON users if any of those checks fail.

The bottom line is there is no RUU that S-ON users that have taken the March OTA can flash at this time.

ramjet73

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
Doesn't seem like any workaround is feasible. But I wonder...S-ON prevents unsigned stuff from being applied. Isn't the RUU signed?

Yes, it's signed which is why you can run an RUU as a PG86IMG.zip even if you are s-on. But as part of its security checks, it will not allow you to downgrade firmware. So the only RUU available is for hboot 1.57, and the new OTA puts you on hboot 1.58. It sees that you are trying to downgrade and won't allow you to run it.

Upvote 0
I'd like to get a way to be able to start to figure out how these RUU's are leaked in the first place. From my understanding (mainly from a post down at XDA), the RUU's are leaked from friends of friends (possibly more extended) down at HTC. I would think that HTC would have some type of online server hidden somewhere that hosts these wonderful files but that's mainly wishful thinking I would think :(.

Upvote 0
If that's the case, they would probably be from a tech with the carrier themselves, they would need them on a daily basis for repairing customers devices and working in a carrier store doesn't exactly pay top notch. :rolleyes:
OB

Lol, all I'm asking is how can I contribute to the "latest ruu problem" really. I really would love to help in this issue by providing something a lot of people asked for including myself (though not directly on the forums)

Upvote 0
If that's the case, they would probably be from a tech with the carrier themselves, they would need them on a daily basis for repairing customers devices and working in a carrier store doesn't exactly pay top notch. :rolleyes:
OB
There was a post by a VM user on XDA that said he has already received a replacement device from VM that had the current OTA installed. I really doubt that the techs at VM are flashing the original RUU and installing both the OTA's, but you never know. :D

Lol, all I'm asking is how can I contribute to the "latest ruu problem" really. I really would love to help in this issue by providing something a lot of people asked for including myself (though not directly on the forums)
LOL!

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but if you have connections with Sprint/VM techs and want to "leak" the RUU's to me I'd be happy to PM my email address and post the files where other people can download them. ;)

ramjet73

Upvote 0
LOL!

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but if you have connections with Sprint/VM techs and want to "leak" the RUU's to me I'd be happy to PM my email address and post the files where other people can download them. ;)

ramjet73

I only wish! xD

I did however send another politeness request for it, so it would probably either be that or nothing.. until someone who does have these connections comes along haha

Upvote 0
I only wish! xD

I did however send another politeness request for it, so it would probably either be that or nothing.. until someone who does have these connections comes along haha
I'm not optimistic but thanks for trying. :thumbup:

We actually got the Sprint 2.89.651.2 RUU from a Chinese website as documented in this XDA thread. I have no idea how the OP found that link but I've been googling for "RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_2.95.651.5" almost every day. ;)

BTW, I just noticed that there is a slight difference in the build number between the March OTA's for Sprint and VM. The Sprint version is 2.95.651.5 and the VM version is 2.95.652.5. I think the third level of the version number is the device identifier.

ramjet73

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
They link'd me to their terms website, lol. I told them I'm planning to sell the phone and want it 100% restored as it came with out of the box. They also wanted the IMEI number... :S

Awaiting their reply..

edit: they want me to contact the RMA department to 100% restore it.. aint noone got time for that junk

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones