1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need Overclock Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DoomyGIR, Jul 22, 2011.

1. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    I got the picastix kernel. Read you have to boot into recovery and just flash it. Is it really that easy? Or is there something else I should do? I searched to see if there was a guide to overclocking the V, but couldn't find one. Please help!

Advertisement

2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    What Recovery do you have and what ROM are you Running. You should always make a backup in recovery before you make any changes to your phone. That way if you make a mistake you can go back to restore and everything will be back exactly the way you left it. More info to follow when you let me know what recovery and ROM you are using.(This is just advice, and anything you do to your phone is your responsibility)Edit: It might help if you mention what you expect this Kernel to do for you(are you a serious gamer who wants their games to be super smooth and fast,etc.).The reason I ask is that there are currently only a hand full of supported ROM's out there for the Optimus V ,and they all do something a little better than the other. Also picastix's kernel is not compatible with some ROM's

3. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    I'm not using a ROM. Just rooted my phone yesterday and I wanted to overclock it so i can run games smooth and fast as you said. I'm going to set up a recovery today. You can probably guess I'm new to all this. Do you have to have a rom or can you flash w/out it? Also, what recovery is best for the V? Sorry I'm asking alot of questions I thought I looked into this enough apparently I didn't!

4. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    Now that you are rooted,you can accidentally do untold damage to your phone. A custom recovery will allow you to get yourself out of just about every "Ooops" or "Did I do that" by allowing you to do a backup of everything on your phone. The best recovery for the "V" is xionia_cwma_12518.4. because it will allow you to get yourself out of more trouble than any other recovery for the "V". If I read picasticks site correctly you should be able to flash it over the stock ROM(I will double check that).Do you have a computer,or will you be doing this with a terminal emulator downloaded to your phone. Is picasticks-07a.zip in a download file on your SD card,or is it on the root of your SD card(not in any file,but placed toward the bottom of the list of files),or is it still on your computer. What method did you use to root your phone.The reason I ask is some methods don't install the proper flash_image to the /system/bin of your phone and you will have to do this if not done all ready. Do you have Busybox all ready installed properly(you can download Root Checker from the market to determine this).Did you update SuperUser.Last but not least, you need to put xionia recovery on the root of your SD card EDIT: I know this seems like a lot right now,but 2 months ago I didn't know anything about smart phones, and next to nothing about computers. If I can do it,anybody can do it. also if you like the info that you are reading in a particular post by one of the members then we are encouraged to select the thanks button as this is all they get for all there hard work.

DoomyGIR likes this.
  5. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    I'm going to be doing this via PC (gonna throw picastix into the root of the SD card). I used the Gingerbreak method to root and I downloaded BusyBox (thanks for the reminder! (it installed correctly used root check to make sure!). I have Superuser 2.3.6.1. Is this the latest version? Also is there a link to that version of xionia? I keep finding version 12518.6. Your help is VERY much appreciated!

EDIT:Used You're instead of Your. Grammar fixed!

6. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    OK this is were it gets interesting, you are going to have to download the flash_image and put it on the root of your SD card. you can find it here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...t-optimus-v-without-computer.html#post2865990 you will also see a few lines of command to install the flash_image and the recovery.img as well.This was done for a terminal emulator installed on the phone from the market.If you would like to try this,then you just have to rename xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.zip to xionia_recovery.img ...The only thing different with this code is the first line(you will be typing a few more,if you already have ADB established in your system path that is.). Do you have ADB established in your system path?

DPackMan and DoomyGIR like this.
  7. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    I suppose not. What is ADB and how do I go about doing so?

EDIT: Do I put the picastix folder in the root of the SD or do I have to take a specific file out? I put the flash_image in the root of the SD.

8. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    Put the picastick zip folder(do not unzip it) on the root of the SD card as well xionia 12518.4 can be found here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-using-clockworkmod-recovery.html#post2955352 sorry for the delay Next year I'll be fifty and my brain acts like it 100. had a hard time remembering were the link was. It will take me a little while to remember where the "Nuub" proof guide to establishing ADB is at but I'm working on it. In the mean time look at the thread just below this one and see if you might want to do that instead to install the recovery. Then I could walk you thru the rest.

DPackMan and DoomyGIR like this.
  9. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    No worries. Thank you so much I honestly appreciate it!

EDIT: (sorry for all the edits) I have everything set up in my card. Renamed Xionia and am ready to boot up the terminal emulator. What do I do to set up the recovery? Sorry if its late, no rush!

10. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
  11. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    so do you want to do this from you phone instead? you mentioned using a terminal emulator.

12. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Yeah I probably should've mentioned that my apologies.

13. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    DPackMan likes this.
  14. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Right-o

EDIT: Read the guide!

15. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    If you are already rooted and just need to change your recovery then open terminal emulator and type the following:

su(return)
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME OF RECOVERY (return)
    reboot recovery

The last line just takes you to the recovery menu.
    In recovery select wipe cache, then under the advanced tab, select wipe dalvik cache. Back at the main menu select flash zip from sdcard, then scroll down to the picasticks kernel zip and select it. Use the volume up and down to move, home key to select, and back to go back.

16. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    It said flash_image: not found

EDIT: Should I have entered the commands in that thread? I guess I missed a step?

17. mkbkr1

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    If you don't already have the flash_image file installed go back to that thread, follow the instructions for downloading and opening the zip I attached. Then you can skip the steps for rooting with gingerbreak and go to the terminal commands. That will install flash_image and the recovery you need. Make sure both files are on the root of the sd card, not in any folders.

DoomyGIR likes this.
  18. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Awesome I'll go back and do that! Thanks!

19. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    Yes that was what I thought would go quicker because it is all ready typed out with the red underscores being the spaces.

20. mkbkr1

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    Thanks, got it fixed.

21. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    Whoo that was close.

22. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    I really got to learn to type faster I just don't seem to be able to keep up. I think your up to speed on what's going on mkbkr1 maybe you should help DoomyGIR the rest of the way

23. DoomyGIR

DoomyGIR Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    When I typed this flash_image_recovery_/sdcard/vrecover.img(return) it said: error opening sdcard/vrecover.img no such file or directory

EDIT: Typed the name of my recover in place of vrecovery (renamed mine xionia_recovery.img) same thing

24. mkbkr1

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    I guess you type a little faster than me. I was about to pass the honors on to you. I have to get to work and will most likely be busy the rest of the night. I'll check in when I can.

25. mkbkr1

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    That was a typo in the post. It should be vrecovery.img the same as the file you downloaded. Sorry for the mistake, it has been corrected. If you using another recovery make sure you type it exactly as it appears on your sd card. Also make sure it is not in any folders. It appear towards the bottom of the files listed on your card below all the folders.

DoomyGIR likes this.
Tags: