• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Recommendation For Calculator

startac4

Apr 13, 2020
The calculator program that came with my phone is almost useless. It lacks important, for me, features: (1) a sign reverse (+ to -) key; (2) a register (memory) to save intermediary calculation results. I would appreciate if someone would recommend a basic but decent calculator program - without ads - which I could download.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but turn your phone to landscape. Often the stock calculators display a simple calculator in portrait and a scientific calculator in landscape. Here's screenshots from my S20 simply rotating the phone 90 degrees. :rolleyes:
upload_2021-10-28_16-14-5.png

upload_2021-10-28_16-14-23.png

Upvote 0
There is a calculator called HiPER calc that Will do what you need. I can't remember if I paid for it (long time ago, even for an old man) but if I did it was one of those buck ninety nine things. I liked it because I do the grocery shopping and it would wrap, and in my state, groceries are not taxed while other stuff is. But I have found it to be the most complete calculator.

Upvote 0
If you're like me, you sometimes run into mixed fractions: what is 8-3/8 x 4-7/16? Sure, I could break out a sheet of paper and start working out the lowest common denominator... or I could open Fraction Calculator. It's amazing, and well worth the paid version if fractional math is common in your life.

Upvote 0
If you're like me, you sometimes run into mixed fractions: what is 8-3/8 x 4-7/16? Sure, I could break out a sheet of paper and start working out the lowest common denominator... or I could open Fraction Calculator. It's amazing, and well worth the paid version if fractional math is common in your life.

I've not had to do mixed fractions since I left primary school in 1974. Although I saw plenty of them on the blackboards when I was teaching in a primary school a few years ago. And it's something that always reminds me of the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when Neary is trying to teach his son' fractions using a model railway.

My current 7th grade students are now learning basic algebra, with trigonometry next.

Upvote 0
Where was this tool while I was in need? I was a trim carpenter / cabinet maker for fifty five years and fractions were an everyday math problem to be solved. It is easily done when practiced daily but I'm sure a nightmare if not.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.
But...
(1) turning my LG cellphone changing its orientation from portrait to landscape does not reveal any additional functions or keys.
(2) I don't want a calculator program with ads, which according to the comments on the URL link, this one has.
(3) I don't need a scientific calculator. I just want an ordinary calculator with the two basic functions that my simple, real, Sharp calculator has: sign reversal and register (memory) for storing intermediary/temporary results.

Upvote 0
Everyone wait just a moment while I whip this out....

(nevermind, bad joke)

Anyway, Army Knife for Android has a number of useful attributes, and not the least of which is a calculator with the functions you desire (and more).

There are a number (depends upon your device) of very cool applications inside of this one app, and it is completely ad-free.

https://army-knife-for-android.en.uptodown.com/android

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Reactions: mikedt and olbriar
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.
But...
(1) turning my LG cellphone changing its orientation from portrait to landscape does not reveal any additional functions or keys.
(2) I don't want a calculator program with ads, which according to the comments on the URL link, this one has.
(3) I don't need a scientific calculator. I just want an ordinary calculator with the two basic functions that my simple, real, Sharp calculator has: sign reversal and register (memory) for storing intermediary/temporary results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones