• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need recommendations for Wi-Fi calling phone

I'm an old guy living in a rural area where cell phone coverage is really poor. I'd like to buy a used smartphone that's capable of WiFi calling. I can't afford much over $150. Is there such a phone?

I'm currently without a phone but when I had one it was an unlocked Moto G7 which I used on US Mobile, which uses the Verizon network, which has lousy coverage here but seems to be better than any of the other carriers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
You dont need any special phone for Wi-Fi calling.

There are many apps available that allow any modern android device place calls, texts, and MMS via Wi-Fi.

Generally they are free.
You watch some short ads in return for a few free credits daily.

They start you out with a decent supply of credits, and offer multiple ways of earning more.

Personally, I use Dingtone.

Notice that I used the word device instead of the word phone?

That is because the app will work with all your different devices- not just phones.

You can have up to 5 devices linked to one account on Dingtone.

Since I joined at the later part of 2017, I have accumulated over 10,000 credits.

Texts are ½ credit, calls are 9/10ths of a credit, and I get the first 5 minutes of two calls free each day.

Calls and texts between Dingtone customers do not use any credits.

I get a real phone number that anyone can call.

As long as I have access to Wi-Fi, I have reliable service.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones