1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need Serious Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Spaztastiq, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Spaztastiq

Spaztastiq Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    I am returning my EVO 4G to best buy tomorrow as a result of hearing about the EVo 3D. I thought I successfully unrooted my phone earlier by following the method that has appeared on this forum. I found the exact walkthrough on youtube, and the narrator said you would not need to flash the S-On tool if you didn't run Unrevoked Forever. I did not, I had used the Unrevoked 3. The S-On tool would not flash, it always said "Installation Aborted" so I put two and two together and realized after hearing him say it, I didn't actually need to flash the tool. I was able to flash the P36IMG.zip (so frantic I forgot the exact name but it was correct and flashed, restoring my EVO to a factory state. I just now checked to see if the S-Off was still there and it was. My phone no longer has any of the clockworkmod files left on it and every third party app is gone, but it still says I am running Supersonic 3 with S-off. What did I do wrong, and will Best Buy tell that I did this if I can't fix it? I feel screwed right now. Please somebody help.

Advertisement

2. Spaztastiq

Spaztastiq Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Recovery sends my phone into a screen with an EVo and a red triangle.

3. cyaiphone

cyaiphone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Did you try the steps for unrooting in the rooting for dummies thread?

4. Spaztastiq

Spaztastiq Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    THe S-On tool never worked, then I viewed the YouTube Video where DjR3Z said if you didnt run enrevoked you didnt have to worry about flashing it and just go to the pC36img and flash that, that worked so I assumed I was clear.

5. Spaztastiq

Spaztastiq Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    My phone is acting unrooted in every sense, but my battery wont drain which leads me to believe the setcpu and root are still there. I have nothing to do a hboot recovery or an thing to restore or flash to. I guess I will be taking my chances at best buy.

6. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    I've never unrooted but the s-on tool did need flashed. Since s is off just reinstall recovery via pc36img file and you will have recovery back. Then start over. There is a thread here with all pc36img recovery files, that's almost even the title.

7. Spaztastiq

Spaztastiq Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    The S-Off Never went back to S-On, however when attempting to anything related to Root, my phone made sure to tell me my phone WAS NOT ROOTED. Took it to Best Buy, this morning to exchange, no issue, the techs at best buy don't even peep into the hboot because I had run stock ROM on it before, nothing looked out of the ordinary. So fo ranyone who worries about having to Unroot if they plan to bring an Android phone back during their 30 day grace return period, you really have no worries, Best Buy doesn't care if you rooted. Now I play the HTC EVO 3D waiting game! Thanks for the assistance EVoMattNC. : )

8. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Well good to know there was resolution one way our the other.

Tags: