1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nintensity, May 14, 2011.

1. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

Hi guys,

been reading a lot of stuff on here, very keen to root my Desire.
    Its a unbranded SLCD version, 0.93 Hboot, PVT4 S-On, 20000 erase size.

OK, so I am basically looking for much better battery life and obviously get rid of the internal storage issue. I like Sense, but then I obviously haven't used any of the AOSP ROMs to compare with Sense. I am open to try some of the custom ROMs.

As much reading I have done I still cant decide. The more I read the more cofused I get! :p
    I like the look of the new InsertCoin ROM with the Sense 3.0 touches, but what is the CM7 Hboot? is this a different process? Do I still go through the unrEvoked rooting?

How about Redux or GV? what are the main differences out of these 3?

I just want something that is easy to do and use, no doubt this is a lot to ask!

Apologies for the noob questions, had to start somewhere!

Cheers,
    Ste

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Theres a process you can do after rooting called s-off. It's a custom hboot that ignores security on the phone, allowing you to do a few more things like flashing alternative internal memory partition sizes. Like cm7 hboot for example, makes the bit the Rom sits in smaller so more space can be allocated to apps.

You shouldn't really look into this before you're comfortable flashing Roms.

Also have a read of the rooting faq linked in my signature for more information on root.

Nintensity likes this.
  3. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast

id say moving from stock to the latest insertcoin might be a bit much first try, couple of small bugs and stuff (nothing major), first try something more... mature, than GB Sense :)

Maybe some of these :D

Sense: LeeDroid 2.4.1 (A2SD+)

Sense HD: iNsertCoin 2.0 (A2SD+ not Data2EXT just to save more confusion with partitioning first try)

Gingerbread: ReDux 1.2 - Really fast and really good battery ;)

But have fun! remember you can always back up and try something else, then flash back if you dont like it.

Nintensity likes this.
  4. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

Cheers guys,

yeah definately need to build up some confidence!

With UnrEvoked, I have software # 2.29.405.5, should I use 3.21 or the latest 3.32? Why is 3.21 considered better?

Am I right in thinking that basically when I root, it will root the base Android OS and then I can replace the existing HTC recovery with whatever ROM I choose. But I can always go back to a stock HTC ROM?

With GB Redux, I dont need to partition my SD for A2SD+?

Ste

5. SUroot

No. Rooting replaces HTC recovery with clockwork mod and roots the HTC version of android. Recovery flashes the Rom.

You need to partition the card if you want to use a2sd+

Read the faqs in my signature

6. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

OK, cheers SU. Yeah I've been reading through all your stuff, its excellent!

Maybe I've missed something, what is the clockwork mod? Does it do anything or do you have to put a ROM on straight away?
    Can I back up the original HTC recovery for peace of mind? or is there no point as you can restore it with an RUU or just flash a stock HTC ROM to the recovery?

My question on A2SD+ partitioning was because you suggest with GB, the built in "Move to SD" is actually better than A2SD+, so presumably with the Redux GB you dont have to have A2SD+, although it would give you a bit more flexibility in terms of 'internal storage'?

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Ste

7. SUroot

Android phones consist of recovery, android and a bootloader.

HTCs bootloader is called hboot. It is responsible for booting into android or recovery.

Recovery is just that. Software used for emergency recovery of your android system if you somehow break it. It's fairly limited though. Pretty much all it can do is factory reset, which will fix most software breaks on a stock phone.

Clockwork mod recovery replaces HTC recovery. It has additional options like nandroid backup and restore of android, flashing custom Roms and allowing access to the sd card when android doesn't work.

You need this, so rooting with unrevoked gives you it.

You can't back up the stock recovery. You can't back anything up without a custom recovery anyway.

RUU contains HTC recovery, android Rom and hboot so this will restore everything. It also includes a stock radio

Move to sd moves more in gb than Froyo. It moves something that a2sd does not. The libs. However, a2sd moves dalvik cache which move to sd does not.

I don't use a2sd but that's because I have a huge data partition of 360 MB instead of the standard 147MB

Nintensity likes this.
  8. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

Brilliant, get it now :D

So just leaves UnrEvoked 3.32 or 3.21?

Ste

9. SUroot

Nintensity likes this.
  10. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

would you recommend the themed version of Redux?

Ste

11. SUroot

Never tried it to be honest

12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Try both - you can flash one over the other (well, I did).

My Redux nandroid is actually the themed one, but mainly because the battery percentage is easier to read. Not made my own theme for it as yet.

Edit: From memory the main differences were status bar icons, and I think the glow effect and transitions were different.

Nintensity likes this.
  13. togger161

togger161 Android Enthusiast

I didn't like the themed version TBH. My preference is to use non themed version with Zeam launcher, with fancy widgets for the clock and weather.

14. togger161

togger161 Android Enthusiast

15. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

Thanks guys.

Hmmm, so rooting seemed to go well, UnrEvoked did its thing all OK. Just tried to go into clockworkmod recovery however and when I clicked wipe data / factory reset to put on the ROM I've just got a black screen?? :thinking:
    EDIT: all clockworkmod options just go to black screen, pushing power button takes me back to the main clockworkmod menu
    EDIT2: LOL never mind, use trackball!!

Although, what is sdcard:update.zip?? do I need to do this?

Ste

16. SUroot

Power turns off the screen

17. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

:D sorry, being a n00b! whats the sdcard update?

btw, you definately needed a "............................" after that comment :p

Cheers,

Ste

18. Hadron

VIP Member

If you rename the thing you want to flash "update.zip" and stick it on the root of your sd card, then "install update.zip" will install it. Recipe for disaster IMO, since you have to remember what is in that zip! Hence I've never used this.

I always use the "choose zip from SD card" option and just select the thing I want to flash. Seems no less work than renaming and moving zips, and much easier to make sure you flash what you intended to.

19. Nintensity

Nintensity Lurker

Cheers Hadron.

I have the zip for Redux in the root sd but its not called update.zip, so was a little confused.

Now installing Redux....fingers crossed:eek:

Ste

20. Hadron

VIP Member

You did a nandroid backup first?

Edit: Was going to add "you'll need to wipe", but from earlier in the thread it's clear you've done that.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews