1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need some Advice!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by My LG Is PooP, Apr 29, 2012.

1. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    I'm new to the forum and was reading a few threads on whats the best android phone for sprint and obviously the galaxy s2 is up at the top. Im working with a budget and would like to know what the best used model would be? I really like the EVO 4G and would like to get some opinions on it from ppl that have had one or have some good knowledge of the phone. If you cant tell by now I have a LG, its the optimus S and in my eyes complete garbage. I had ppl tell me its a great phone when rooted and better "programming" installed. For me personally the first few months were good but everything went down hill quick. It force closes everything, shuts off on its on, freezes, no longer keeps pictures I take, super slow and it continues this after I did a factory reset on it and internal memory is basically completely free besides factory apps and a 32gb sd card. I tired rooting it with gingersnap and couldn't get it to work. I'm not a lost cause when it comes to doing this type of work but I am in no way a genius when it comes to phones and could desperately use some help!!!!

Currently I do not have an upgrade but would like to find a good used Sprint (yes I know sprint is not the greatest) phone that I could activate and use instead of this phone I have unless someone can show me the light with my current paper weight.

Thank you in advance!!!

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    no upgarde ...

what is your price range?
    shop on craigslist
    sell your old phone on craigslist..

you might be able to get an EVO OG for about $150.
    or an EVO Shift in $150

EVO 3d / Photon can be had for about $200

My LG Is PooP likes this.
  3. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Yea unfortunately I do not have an upgrade where I can sign a new contract and get a new phone at new contract prices. The only thing they told me I would be eligible for is "changing to a different phone." Which I didnt understand because I thought if you had a phone you wanted to use you could activate and use it on your existing contract at anytime.

And as far as budget was hoping around the $100 range or close to it. I dont know how possible that would be. I searched ebay one day for like 3 hours and found a few phones around that price from companies that refurbished electronic devices. I didnt pull the trigger yet because I was unsure of quality and how well it was refurbished. Then started researching some more and found that some people were rooting their phones and giving them much better performance and the programs and apps they wanted. I tired it with mine and don't know if it was an issue with my phone being compatible or something I may have done wrong. The only thing that did not work the way the instructions showed was I could not run gingersnap as an administrator. I assumed that was the problem but was unsure.

What do you think of the HTC devices? From reading reviews they seem to be a pretty good phone, but again I don't know all the ins and outs so I could be wrong.

Thank you for the advice!

4. dan330

None

Jan 22, 2010
  5. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Thank you very much and thats great to know with the rooting. I think because my phone is considered a starter smartphone there really isnt anything out there as far as rooting goes. It makes me mad cause the phone was good when I first had it and all the features it has are great...but thats when it works the correct way which is hit or miss.

6. danaj

danaj Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Tucson, Az
    For $100 it will be hard to find a phone with better specs than the one you have now. Like the other poster said, sell it and add it to your $100. Also I looked in the sub forum for the optimus s, and there is a decent amount of root support for your phone, and even some roms, incase you decide to keep your phone, I would head over there and see what rom is most popular.

7. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Where is the support section? I was looking through here earlier and found one group for my phone but after clicking on thelink there were only two postings. If I could root it and program the phone accordingly and make it work the way it should it not constantly shot off, freeze, reboot on its own, and not save pictures I would be happy!! Its not a bad phone it has all the important features as most smartphones but it acts up like crazy and doesnt work properly. I like to think im fairly technical savvy, but I been struggling quite a bit with this phone but through some research and directions I can pick up things naturally. Im a mechanic so fixing things tends to come easy but I definately prefer a wrench! lol

8. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    and not*
    shut*

9. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Just found it! and found a step by step rooting guide with links to all the firmware and the links to reverting it to a ZVD baseband so I have more options for ROMs then. Thank you!!

danaj likes this.
  10. PhoneFanatic1

PhoneFanatic1 Newbie
    None

Hey LG,

Like everyone else has said, sell your LG and add that to your budget if you can. The good news is you're not that far off. Currently the HTC Evo 4G in good condition is selling for $161 on Craigslist. The Evo 3D is averaging $211 as of today. (Source) Deals pop up all the time, but go quickly. Phone Fanatic will allow you to put in the price you want, the phone and your zip code and will email you as soon as someone has posted an ad that matches what you submitted.

I hope that helps! We just launched this site over the weekend and would love your input. Hopefully you're able to find your phone..

11. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!
    None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    I read a bit about the One X but...I don't like how you can't remove the battery or the memory I believe also. HTC makes great phones, I have one called the HTC Inspire which I love but came out in like 2010 of FEB so it's kinda old but I still love it. As the others have said, sell your old phone and get the EVO, think about the S2 for a bit. My friend has one and he loves his and has never had a problem with it. The galaxy note is good and it's a phone and a tablet in one. I'm also seeing the Galaxy S2 for AT&T for $60 on Amazon right now if you'd like to look into that.

12. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Really a S2 for $60!? Thats crazy cheap but I dont think I would be able to use that for my sprint account though. I thought a phone could only be used on the company it was bought through or something to that effect?

13. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    It's what I saw, unless I am being a total space case :p or there's a catch but go see for yourself.

14. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Wow Ill have to take a look, If its legit that would be awesome. But I wonder if I could use that with sprint? Once I have more money and could afford to switch carriers ID like to go to verizon. My Gf has an Iphone 4s through them and its awesome her coverage is great always has full bars no matter where we are even when were in northern PA where shes from its great in all the mountains. My Sprint I wish I could say the same coverage is a hit or miss and up there dont even think about it, 1 bar the whole time were there. I like sprints unlimited plan but id rather have a service that doesnt stop working!! I dont know if other people have this much trouble or its just me but my expierience with sprint is not ending to well. Started great but is dwindling quick haha

15. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    It could be with what area your in and they may not have a whole lot of coverage there that could be the case. I hope I found you a great deal on the S2 and you might be able to find other phones there for a great deal maybe. Lastly on what phone would you think you might want the most? I think they might have the nexus as well.

16. My LG Is PooP

My LG Is PooP Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Not really set on any certain phone, just comes down to price and hopefully a more advanced phone. But I read that on amazon and was prices from $60 depending on service picked. So that was there base figure for the lowest contract. So I'd have to sign a contract through AT&T, but I'm looking at theryre unlocked phones to see which ones I could use.

17. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    That's great. Don't forget to check out the classifieds too just in case.

18. dan330

None

Jan 22, 2010
    sprint will only take Sprint Phones.

the SGS2 on sprint is the EPIC Touch 4G. but i am sure it is over your price range (out of cotract price)... and at least $200 on criagslist.

have you looked on your girlfriend's verizon account and how much it is to get a 2nd line on her account? it is pretty cheap.
    but you will be looking at a EFT, when you cancel sprint. so I guess you have to wait out the contract.

19. PhoneFanatic1

PhoneFanatic1 Newbie
    None

Yup, the Epic Touch 4G in good condition is averaging $303 on all of Craigslist..

There's one available right now for $220 though..