1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need some help diagnosing a tough problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbwitt, Aug 26, 2012.

1. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

My S2 is having a problem. Occasionally, while the screen is locked the processor will heat up. When I try to unlock it, it won't respond. The only way to recover is to remove the battery. When it comes back up I check CPU spy and it says my CPU was pegged at 1200 MHz. But I can't figure out a way to capture which process is the culprit. I tried watchdog but after a reboot it resets itself so any information is lost (Maybe I'm using it wrong?). It happened with stock GB, unrooted. Then I upgraded to ICS and factory reset hoping the problem would go away but it didn't. Now I'm running stock ICS, rooted, and still having the problem. The things I know it's NOT:

- SD card - it happens with our without the SD card installed
    - GB or ICS dependent - it happens with both
    - rooting problem - it happens rooted and unrooted
    - a factory reset - I tried that
    - a signal problem - it is not location dependent, and happens whether I'm on wifi or 4g

Can somebody help me figure this out? There are a few other threads around with similar problems, but none I've found have a solution.

2. Matty18

Matty18 Well-Known Member

I'm not promising that I'll be able to find a solution to your problem, but I can give it a try. What apps do you have installed?

3. mvi57

mvi57 Newbie

You can reboot the phone by holding the power button until it starts to reboot. That way you don't have to take the battery out.

Install Bettery Battery Stats and see if that helps pinpoint what process/app/wakelock is causing the problem. You can also try installing the apps one at a time and see if that helps you determine what app is causing the problem.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Try booting into recovery and clearing your system cache and the dalvik cache. The update to ICS and a factory reset doesn't necessarily clean these out. When you restart the phone afterwards it will rebuild the caches and if there was anything conflicting or corrupt there, it will take care of it.

jbwitt likes this.
  5. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

The app list is long, but the ones that I'm suspecting, in no particular order:

system/utils type apps:
    widgetlocker
    juice defender ultimate
    tasker
    battery solo widget
    google voice

other:
    handcent
    IMO
    mint
    netflix
    espn scorecenter
    facebook
    tweet caster
    words free

There must be a way to use some utilities to narrow it down.

6. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

I have better battery stats installed but I need more info on exactly what to look for. Each time it has happened I've gone through all the menus but nothing jumps out at me.

7. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

Okay, done. We'll see what happens.

8. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

I have an update. For the first time ever the problem just happened while I was using the phone. I could feel it heating up and the battery was tanking at about 5%/min. I looked at CPU spy and it was at 1200 Mhz. So then I opened watchdog and it said that email was misbehaving. I looked through better battery stats but nothing jumped out at me. So then I opened up email, and closed it again, and the notice went away. I have 3 email accounts on the phone: gmail, yahoo (POP), and bellsouth (now yahoo IMAP). I have all 3 accts set to update once per hour. Could juice defender could be fighting the email check or something?

This means that it wasn't a cache problem.

Update: Went back to better battery stats and listed processes. Found this:

com.android.email
    sys:11s Us:1m 12s

ddshat likes this.
  9. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

Another update. I set all 3 email accounts to never update, but that didn't help. It just happened again. Same symptoms but since I had to reboot this time better battery stats doesn't have any info.

10. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

com.facebook.katana
    Right now it's got my CPU at 1200MHz and I'm watching my battery meter go down. Anybody suggest anything besides uninstalling the app?

11. LoafPincher

LoafPincher Member

Do you have the program set to push notifications? If so, it might help to change the frequency of the notifications.

12. jbwitt

jbwitt Newbie

All notifications are off. I think I've narrowed it down to Juice Defender. I left JD turned off for 5 days and didn't have 1 freeze.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews