• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root need some help on tts

kobel1up

Android Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2010
Miamisburg, ohio
Well if you are like me you hate using the navigation on the phone because of the stupid robotic voice. So I did some searching and found svox English voice. Sounds soo much better I love it. My problem after the install I tried it out and it will switch back in forth between the 2 voices.

This is where I need the help. I had to install talk to speech extended and I think the original talk to speech is affecting it. I am running XtrRom 5.0, and it already had the talk to speech installed. I have never removed programs from my phone other than apps. I do have root explorer just can't find the right file to get rid of. Thanks for the help.

First of all, make sure you do a nandroid before you attempt to remove anything in the system/app folder. I did a quick look at my phone (running Tazz Gingerbread) and it looks like TtsService.apk is the file you want to delete. I can't say if it is safe to delete or not, so like I said make a nandroid. I don't know if tts uses anything else that would need to be removed as well. Good luck, and if you figure it out post it here so we know.

Upvote 0
Ok sorry I haven't posted what I found. I do know that 2.2 my new navigation voice works, on 2.1 I have the robot chick. I did remove ttsservice.apk, and ttsservice.odex. Now I found out that the odex file you want to keep. lol I still had a nand backup so I just restored and all is good, just need to remove the apk and see if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones