1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need some info on the Galaxy Tab compared to the NC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by A.Nonymous, Apr 20, 2011.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm sure there is someone on here who has or has used both. I've got a rooted NC and absolutely love it. It has some drawbacks, but it's not designed to be a tablet out of the box so that's to be expected.

Recently, my brother-in-law and sister have decided to become full time evangelists so both of them will be on the road basically 24/7/365 for the forseeable future. Them I don't care about, but they have two nieces who are cute as a button and who I will miss every second they're gone. I was on Amazon and saw the wi-fi only Tab being sold for $350. It looks like it has a front facing camera and works with an app called Qik.

My sister and bro-in-law have a 3G wifi hotspot they'll be taking with them. My thought was to sell the NC, purchase the G-Tab for myself and purchase a current gen iTouch for the kids that has a front facing camera so I could talk to them. To me the $100 extra is worth the front facing camera.

My question is how the Galaxy Tab compares to the NC. Is it easily rootable? I hate the stock launcher on it, can I add Zeam easily? I know there are a few apps that either don't run on the NC or don't run well. Is it the same case with the Tab or does pretty much anything run on it? How's the battery life? If I decide to add a case with a BT keyboard to it and turn it into a mini netbook that I can actually do work on is that doable at all or will it just suck the battery dry in a few hours so it won't even be worth it?

Advertisement

2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    Okay, so the Galaxy Tab is better than the NC IMO. The screen is exceptional and on par with my wife's iPad. The stock launcher is awful...man I really hate Touchwiz...more than Motoblur even :eek: Go Launcher EX fixes that pretty easily and all of the TW wigets still work with Go Launcher (this actually comes with some pretty decent clock and weather widgets).

Don't know about battery life yet as I just received mine today but it's rated for 7 hours of continuous use and based on what I've seen thus far...that seems pretty accurate.

And rooting doesn't get any easier: Galaxy Tab - ****Noob Rooting Guide**** - xda-developers

3. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Sweetness. Actually just pulled the trigger on this and it's supposed to come in tomorrow. For just $100 more than the NC I think you get a much better deal TBH. Better hardware certainly and something that is designed to be a tablet. I'm not knocking the NC at all as it's a very, very nice device and I'm happy with it, it just doesn't have the front facing camera. The rear-facing camera I can't see ever using honestly.

4. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    When the Galaxy Tab was $500...it wasn't even close as the NC in terms of value. At $350, it's hard to beat. I was looking at getting a GTab as well ($300) but for me, the 7" screen size is where it's at. Samsung releasing the wifi only version at this price is a really good move on their part.

5. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Totally agree. $500 Tab vs $250 hacked NC isn't close at all. The NC is a much better price on an entry level tablet and I'm actually very, very happy with it and what I can do with it. For just $100 more though I can chat with my nieces while they're gone and the hardware is better. It's something that is actually designed to be a tablet. The NC has some limitations which are to be expected at it's price point and also because it's intended to be an e-reader. It's difficult to beat that price and is where Samsung should've been all along IMO.

6. swagner53

swagner53 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    I have both although my Galaxy is a 3g model. The battery is better than the Nook and the camera's are worth the extra $$. Performance is a little better too. The launcher can be replaced without rooting the Tab and it will run any software the Nook will plus a few more. The size is also a bit nicer for traveling.

7. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    I had both and the Tab beats the NC. While I really liked the NC, the Tab's screen is much better, it's more responsive, it's lighter (I found the NC to be heavy), the cameras are nice too. I use my Tab as a wifi model only (it's actually a verizon model) and the battery life is on par with the NC (I don't know how it comes when you are using the radio, it should go down a lot).

The only thing is that the NC is a lot easier to root and since you can always boot from the SD card it is almost impossible to brick it. I rooted my NC easily, I still haven't rooted my Tab.