• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need some quick help about app settings....

Dangerboy

May 30, 2010
I dont understand this. If i go to menu - applications, i have manage apps and running services.

My running services only shows essential apps running. When i go into manage apps and click on the running tab, it shows a ton of non essential apps running that i have used.

My confusion, and question is, which menu is correct? For example, facebook does not show under running services but it shows under the running tab in the manage apps menu. I force close it and it comes back on.

Which one is correct?

Services are not the same as apps. Services are things that run in the backround, kind of like cpu processes in Windows. Apps can have both an app and a service. For example, I have an app called No Lock which removes the lock screen. The app itself never runs, unless I click on it to change some settings or something. But the service to that app is always running in the background to keep the lock screen off.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to preserve battery life. For example, Facebook is listed under the running tab in manage applications. I'm not logged in, I dont even have an account. I assume then that this app is running in the background wasting battery life. Correct or not?

I force stop these apps and they come right back on.....

Upvote 0
I assume then that this app is running in the background wasting battery life. Correct or not?

No. Its listed under Running Apps, but thats misleading as the app isnt actually running. Android itself if very good at keeping frequently used apps in cache, so they can be loaded quickly. Because of this, the OS will load the memory as full as it can get with apps. None of those apps are running in the background, unless they are say a music app, video app, or gps app that you KNOW you started and is still running.

Force closing these, or using a task killer, is not recommended. It will confuse the OS, and the OS will just re-load those programs anyway, using more battery then if you just left them alone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones